3 month old large Pekin female, quacking loudly, flapping wings wildly , very low to ground suddenly dies.

3rdRanger75th

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
I have recently purchased 6 ducklings 3 males 3 females and up until tonight everyone was fine.
randomly was giving them food and fresh water and my largest female, run up squawking her a$$ off loudly and frequently,. Then immedia started flapping wings out wide and spinning in a almost circle. Then sounds like she was gasping for air , head rolled back onto body like she was sleeping then plopped down dead. Attempted cpr etc to no avail. Duck did not relieve bowels upon death etc no visible injury . Perfectly healthy 30min before. Never sluggish etc etc. just loud quack tons of flapping while not walking properly then rollback head and death all within maybe 2 min. Any ideas , autopsy not available.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
:welcome Very sorry for your loss.
When you say randomly giving food and water does that mean you didn't feed them all the time?
It's really hard to know since she could have been having problems and they just are so good at hiding them. Sometimes it's too late to help.
This could have been a heart attack which heart aliments aren't uncommon in poultry. Sometimes genetic issues. Did you look her over for possibly snake bite?
Really necropsy is the only way to know for sure if there aren't any visible signs.

I just recently lost a Salmon Faverolle hen to what I think was a heart attack she was fine one minute dead the next time I went out. Comb and wattles purple. Whatever was wrong she never showed any outward symptoms.

3rdRanger75th

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
When you say randomly giving food and water does that mean you didn't feed them all the time?
It's really hard to know since she could have been having problems and they just are so good at hiding them. Sometimes it's too late to help.
This could have been a heart attack which heart aliments aren't uncommon in poultry. Sometimes genetic issues. Did you look her over for possibly snake bite?
Really necropsy is the only way to know for sure if there aren't any visible signs.

I just recently lost a Salmon Faverolle hen to what I think was a heart attack she was fine one minute dead the next time I went out. Comb and wattles purple. Whatever was wrong she never showed any outward symptoms.
Sorry I phrased that poorly. Randomly, while feeding them .

No sorry I worded that poorly. As it was 1am. Randomly while I was feeding them. I water and feed constantly. They are never without fresh water or food. Or pond water. I was outside with them changing out waterers and feed tray. And filling pond with fresh water. No animals I could see (I live in Arizona in USA) so snake was a viability however its now almost freezing Temps so their not out especially that late at night. No predators no injuries I could see other than after she was flapping so aggressively she appeared to have Injured her wingtip. As I couldnt control the outward spread and flap of her wings. She was normal , one second. Waddling and quaking and having a jolly time. O turned my back to secure lid on food tray and when I turned around (literal seconds) she was squatted to ground limping and flailing about wings completely outstretched and flapping wildly. Then as suddenly as it started she stopped all together. Put her head rested on her back as though she was sleeping and then just fell over. )

3rdRanger75th

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
Yeah I have been unable to find a COD I can attribute other than she maybe Injured herself getting out of pond and subsequently had a seizure/heart attack. An autopsy isn't viable as I was unaware it was available for bird and she was already removed and taken care of. Not sure. It's got me concerned about rest of flock and the chickens k have with them. But with no obvious cause I'm unsure. She was my favorite and my daughter's was very friendly. But 1 second fine next literal seconds later seizing flapping quackin and then dead. In my lap. Her mate laying on her with his neck) sad

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Best keep a close eye on everyone and hopefully, it was just something with her.
It's so sad when kids are involved since they don't always understand. Sure sounds to me like a heart problem, for her to go so quick.

Top Bottom