1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 Month-Old OEGB Roo Question!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by @FendiChick, Jun 27, 2011.

1. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    I still have my 3-month old OEGB roo (named Rhoda- thought he was a she- LOL) separated from the two hens, which are 10 months old and great layers. I was told that even though there is a size difference, it would be okay to now let him into the main coop with the two girls (also OEGBs). Is this good advice? Would like to integrate them if possible. He is only a bit smaller than they are.

Thanks in advance! I have always gotten the BEST advice here.

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    If he's almost as big as them, it should be fine. Also, if he's already getting his roosterly hormones going, he may lay down the law and become dominant fairly quickly.

3. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thank you!

4. Blue

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    @FendiChick :

Thank you!

You're welcome! When you introduce him to the girls, it would still be best if you can do it at a time where you can hang around and watch them for a bit just to make sure it goes well.​

5. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Oh yes, I planned to do that until I read on one of these threads that it might be smart to do it at dusk when the girls are perched for the night...so that they all sort of "wake up together" but it might be smarter to do it during the day and stay with them for awhile. I just need to let them fight a tiny bit if necessary. I am afraid I will overreact and separate him again and then be afraid to integrate him.

6. Blue

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    @FendiChick :

Oh yes, I planned to do that until I read on one of these threads that it might be smart to do it at dusk when the girls are perched for the night...so that they all sort of "wake up together" but it might be smarter to do it during the day and stay with them for awhile. I just need to let them fight a tiny bit if necessary. I am afraid I will overreact and separate him again and then be afraid to integrate him.

You could do both by putting him in with them at night and then going out early the next morning to see how they're getting along. If he's at the age where his hormones are starting to get going, he may wind up chasing the girls around instead of the other way around. [​IMG]

Good luck with the integration, however you decide to go about it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thanks! I will post again in a week since I plan to do it this weekend and let you know!

8. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Friday at dusk I let him out of the cage and everyone woke up together. All has been well, no fights, it doesn't seem like he is "mature" yet - he doesn't have a full crow in the morning. He doesn't seem to dominate- at least not yet- But as far as fights were concerned, and that was what I feared, they're all getting along fine, I am happy to report!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by