3 month old orpington/cochin mutts - all cockerels?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gretamae, Oct 17, 2011.

1. gretamae

gretamae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    I've suspected for some time that all 5 of my chicks are cockerels. I would love to have your expert opinions!

[​IMG]

Chick #1 I'm almost positive that this one is a boy. I also think it's the evil spawn of my mean, old, cranky barred rock hen!

[​IMG]

Chick #2

[​IMG]

Chicks #3 and #4

[​IMG]

Another shot of chicks #3 and #4, and that's #2 in the back.

[​IMG]

Chick #5 has always been smaller than the others. This one I'm still not sure if it could be a hen.

Thanks in advance!

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    cant really tell since they are so far away but the feathers in the back (sattle feathers) look fat and round not skinny and sharp if they are they are all hens [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1 looks roo 5 looks pullet the others are to tell but looks like you have pullets expect maybe chick 3 roo...so 2 roos and 3 pullets from what i can see not sure though

yea i cant really see saddle nor hackle feathers its the angle and the distance of the pics...they could all be pullets

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, they look like all males.

5. gretamae

Jan 19, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    Thanks all. I'm sorry the pictures aren't very good. Should they have hackle and saddle feathers at 3 months? The chick in the first picture has some hackles showing, but the others don't (yet?). At what age do they usually develop?

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    mines hackle feathers were coming in around 8 weeks and is just now getting saddle feathers at about 4-5 months, but then i have seen them come in later than that hmmm

7. gretamae

Jan 19, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    Here are a few more pictures:

[​IMG]

chick #5

[​IMG]

chick #3

[​IMG]

chick #2

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    were did you get them and were they sexed when you bought them they all dont look like roos

9. gretamae

Jan 19, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    I got them from under my broody! And that is good to hear. There is hope yet that I have some pullets.

10. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

They might have feathers around their shoulders that will give you a clue if you ca pick them up and look at them close. The feathers take a while to come in enough to see, but if you dig through the feathers you can tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by