3 month old Polish chicken resting on back legs, mouth open and occasional squawking with tongue out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carrierebecca1, Jul 17, 2019.

1. carrierebecca1

carrierebecca1 Chirping

Mar 4, 2010
    Hi, I went outside to check on my 3 month old chicks and noticed our 3 month old Polish kept opening her mouth and squawking loudly (intermittently) in a way she usually doesn't. It was hot today but not excessively so, but I still thought it may be heat related. I brought her in the house and gave her water through an eye dropper. She drank lots of water and I gave her some nutri drench. When she squawks her tongue kind of sticks out (or at least is very noticeable) , and was leaning back on her legs instead of standing or sitting. She's now up walking around but still acting off. Any thoughts? The other 4 girls seem fine.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would watch her closely, and try to get a video of her if she is still acting strangely. Continue giving fluids and the NutriDrench, and offer some foods she likes.

Sequel likes this.
  3. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Heat exhaustion maybe? Will take a little to recover if so.

4. carrierebecca1

carrierebecca1 Chirping

Mar 4, 2010
    Thank you. What dose nutri drench would you use? My label came off so I just gave her about .5 cc along with .5 cc water

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sequel likes this.
  6. carrierebecca1

carrierebecca1 Chirping

Mar 4, 2010
    Thanks! She is still doing it this morning. She squawks after she tries to eat something so it appears the issue is with her mouth? She is eating but not without doing this. It’s not letting me post video but I will try again.

7. Phoenixmaine81

Phoenixmaine81 Chirping

Jun 9, 2019
    I've been having a similar problem without the squalling my chicks are 2 months I found mine to have GAPEWORM plus heat but I bought diatomaceous earth food grade..seems after a few days of apple cider vinegar and diatomaceous earth put directly in their food it dehydrated the worms and I have no sign in poop anymore.. I'm a newbie quickly learning the ropes so I wouldn't say I'm right from lotsa experience but my case it was a correct assumption... It may not be your case but can it be a worm related issue??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: