1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 month old poult with yellow poop..........

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by crj, Oct 25, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I noticed my young turkey seemed a bit down. Then I notice yellow poop yesterday morning. I didn't think much of it but then this morning I found bright yellow poop and knew that the turkey had been just above sleeping in the tree that night. I thought maybe it was the cold that slowed the young turkey down but apparently something else is going on. Can anyone help me out with this? I just gave (I think it's a her) some sulmet and put her in a pet carrier away from the other birds. I have seen her drinking and eating but everything is in slow motion. I hope it's something that can be treated.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Chris!

I think that yellow poo is an indication of Blackhead Disease. Cayenne powder in the poults food is a good idea, but there is a product called "Fish Zole" that is supposed to really take care of blackhead. Apparently blackhead is something that attacks the liver. Turkeys can get it from walking in the poo of chickens.

I believe they sell the fish zole at pet stores. You can get it online too from hatchery websites and it has a very long name starting with M....If you google fish zole, you will find some.

Sharon

3. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Chris, here's what I found regarding blackhead disease......

Fish Zole (Metronidazole) 250 mg per gallon of water for three days. Any time a turkey acts lethargic they should get a dose if they are on the ground at all.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Great, thanks Sharon!

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Great, thanks Sharon!

You're welcome Chris. I think I'd better get some too.....

6. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Thanks for the dosage for the metronidazole (Fish Zole) I just got mine in the mail from www.4petsusa.com I got the Fish Zole Forte which is 500 mg tablets. 100 tablets for $31.97 plus $4.06 shipping. So total cost $36.03 and they are double the strength of most available.

Just thought I would share.

Thanks again.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  8. SuperChickenDude327

SuperChickenDude327 Chillin' With My Peeps

You should take care of it quickly. Blackhead disease is deadly to turks. But not so much to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by