3 month old pullets - moulting, so eggs when next spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by welsummerchicks, Sep 12, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    So I won't get any eggs this year?

About when can I expect my youngsters to start laying in spring?

2. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I was wondering this same thing. My girls are 4 months and have yet to lay. I noticed that a few are starting to molt. I hope someone can answer your question.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens don't molt at such a young age that I am aware of. They are usually around 18 months old when they go through their first hard molt. They can go through mini molts, but even then it is usually such a small thing as to pass unnoticed by most. Are you sure you don't have feather picking going on? Have you done a bug check lately? Both those things would account for feather loss at such a young age.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Most of mine are 1 1/2 y3ars old. I have 1 broody, and out of the remaining 12 old enough to lay, I got 4 eggs today. I'm expecting 5 of them to begin molting, but maybe more of them are going to molt.

My last 2 girls that molted, it was 3 1/2 months before they started laying again.

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    One book said I should see their feathers coming in looking like porcupine quills. I can see that.

Some have a bare spot on their backs, but I have spent much time watching them and see no pecking going on.

6. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    All my chickens are 18-27 weeks and they have been going through a bit of a mini molt - I'm assuming... They are all fully feathered and don't have any bare spots at all. However, I've got tons of little downy feathers and a handful of big one littering my whole yard. None of them are laying yet. I wonder if that's what you're going through also. I guess since they won't officially go through their big first molt until 18 mos, this must be a mini-pre molt of some sort.

7. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:This is good info! I check mine regularly for bugs and haven't seen anything. Maybe they are not molting after all?? I went out and looked closely and mine don't actually look like they are losing feathers as much as fluffy white feathers are showing through, it is on my buff orps and mostly on their necks.

Sorry to hijack your thread welsummerchick, it was a good question and I have gotten some good info. Thanks for asking it!

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I'm going on my second flock. The first one did this, and now this one is...the first flock started laying soon after the small molt. I'm hoping the same thing will happen again this time, as I've been waiting on the two oldest. I keep thinking, any day now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by