3 month old pullets sneezing, coughing and now bloody poop. Help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristenm1975, Jun 15, 2010.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I purchased two pullets from a lady who had a lot of very health-looking beautiful chickens in her back yard. The yard had been very muddy lately, she admitted, but it looked better when I got there. One of the pullets, a Rhode Island Red, had been sneezing occasionally when I got her, but I didn' think much of it. When I got them home, they both started doing it incessantly and it began to sound rattly and wet, with clear drainage from their nose. They were eating and drinking well though and seemed to have plenty of energy. Their poops looked normal the first day, but the second day began to have blood-tinged mucousy material in it.

I kept them separate from the other chickens and started putting goldenseal tincture in their water and shot an email over to the lady who sold them to me, asking if any of her other chickens at her place have these symptoms. She said no, but that she sometimes treats with terramycin if this kind of thing happens. I'm not a fan of antibiotics, so I'm looking for other ways to treat this.

Does anyone know what this is and what can be done?

Here's a picture of the pretty girls:
    [​IMG]

The girl in the forefront is obviously the Rhode Island Red, and the other is an Olive-Egger (Blue Ameraucana crossed with a Marans).

I really appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Does this sound like cocci? I do have the medicated feed for them. They are not vaccinated.

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Medicated feed will not address a full-blown problem. It is only a preventative.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    blood in the poo is a sign of cocci. I would get corrid and start them on it asap! It works really well and i always have it on hand!!! I would also get some vetrx and rub on nose and under wings. that will help with the breathing issues. It smells like vicks vapor rub but is for chickens. It's like 8-10 bucks depending on area. Another must have on hand. They should be fine once on the corrid and treat all of them . The stuff she uses will not help cocci if that's forsure bloody poo!!! It's corrid or lose them, sucks but it's the way it goes

Best of luck

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  5. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the help! I'm having trouble finding Corid online in a size for chickens, and when I did find it, it's not from a place where I can get fast delivery. Any suggestions? I'm in the Seattle area.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by