1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 month old Rouen duck with watery green poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1duckMom, Aug 2, 2013.

1. 1duckMom

1duckMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    Hi. I'm new here, but could really use some advice. Jules my Rouen has been raised inside since a few days old after being abandoned. Two days ago my family convinced me to put her in the neighbors pond with there Muscovy ducks. I checked her the next day and couldn't find her, then yesterday found her lethargic in the bushes by the pond. I brought her home immediately and started her on apple cider vinegar to make her drink but she hasn't really eaten an she has very smelly liquid green poops. Is it because she's stressed and hasn't eaten or could it be something worse. I really love her and want her back to normal . She will stay with us forever now.

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC. Glad you got her back with you. Stress is definitely part of her problem. She may have been picked on by the other ducks or bothered by something else......I'm sure she missed home.[​IMG]

I'm glad you started her on ACV. Does it have the "mother" (cloudy/sediment) in it? It will help remove any toxins she may have picked up. The smelly, green poo may be from the pond water she consumed. Her system is not used to it. A BYC memeber "Amiga" suggests "Nutri-Drench" for poultry. She says it has vitamins and calories in it. I have not used it, but my feed store has ordered some for me. Here is a link of ducks treats and supplements. Try to get her to eat some of these, if she will not eat her regular feed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

I hope she gets better soon.

3. 1duckMom

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    Naunnie- Thank you so much I will definitely try the Nutri-Drench to help her eat and be healthier. I just got back from taking her to the vet and found that she was covered in maggots( hundreds ) on her back by th oil gland and near her vent. He also found some significant wounds an a puncture in her belly, something obviously got her. He cleaned as many as he could off of her and gave me antibiotics as well as a solution for her to soak in. I pray we caught it soon enough, I still can't believe I didnt see them. :-( she must be miserable. I'm praying she hangs in there.

4. Naunnie

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Oh my goodness! I am so glad you took her in. The maggots are really gross, but not life threatening. What did he give to soak her in? I usually use dawn and vinegar, but the vinegar would really burn in her wounds. You probably didn't notice them before, because they had not hatched out yet.....

I think with the antibiotics and all the TLC you are providing her...she will recover. Has she eaten anything yet? I have good luck with frozen...but thawed english peas. She might eat a room temp. soft scrambled egg, or cooked noodles. I'm sure you already know....the antibiotics metabolize better with food.

I too, will be keeping you and Ms. Jules in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated okay.

5. 1duckMom

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    They gave me chlorohexidone ( I think that's right) to soak her, and baytril antibiotic. She is eating a little more but not much. She is still preening maggots off :-/ I wish I could do something to help her get them off.
    Thank you for the suggestions on food. I will take any advice I can get. And thank you for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers. :)

6. 1duckMom

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    She hasn't eaten but a few bites and now her poops are pure liquid. I can't get her to eat anything not even peas, egg, or yogurt. All she's had is two or three bites of the soaked food in her water. Now I'm not even sure she's drinking. She's been standing in the same spot with her head tucked back all evening. I am so worried. No vet until Monday :(

7. Naunnie

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I woke this morning thinking about Jules. Does she perk up any when she gets a bath? Maybe she would eat some thawed frozen peas or kale tossed in her bath. How about the Nutri-Drench? I think some Tractor Supply's carries it. I've done a little research on it and plan to keep it on hand. Here is a link for info. http://www.drugs.com/vet/poultry-nutri-drench.html. The Baytril is a pretty strong antibiotic. It could be making her feel a little "green" especially if she isn't eating. But.....don't stop giving it to her!!!!

I wish I could be more helpful....There is a BYC member "Amiga" that may have more suggestions. I'm sure there are others, but I have become more familiar with her posts. Type her name in the search and it will take you to her profile. Then you can send her a private message.

Hang in there....[​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Maybe try gently prying open her bill and inserting some wet feed into the front portion of the beak. Then drip in a little more water and close the beak. Most of the time, at least with chickens, this causes them to swallow the feed inside their beak. Be careful not to squirt any liquid back into her throat, or drip in too much water, as you do not want water to get in her lungs. You might also consider tube feeding.

And I agree with Naunnie in that strong antibiotics can be very hard on a bird's system, which makes them droopy. As long as you aren't overdosing on the medication, though, there probably won't be any long-term effects.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

9. 1duckMom

Aug 2, 2013
    LaFayette, Ga
    I think Jules is finally turning the corner. She is eating again and her poops are getting less liquid. She is going a lot but I think it may just be because of the Baytril. She only has one more dose for tomorrow and I will definitely finish it off. She does perk up in the water a little but then wants out rather quickly. She doesn't seem to be water proof any more.? Could her oil gland have been damaged? I started the nutri-drench this morning and I will let u know if it perks her up more. She is already wandering around her cage more and is less sleepy.

Thank you all for your advice and good thoughts. She means a lot to me! ;)

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Her oil gland may have been damaged, or she might just be being lazy and not preening herself with the oil. And you are welcome! All of my chickens mean a lot to me, so I know exactly how you feel. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by