3 month old silkies- male or female??

MyMonsters91

Chirping
Aug 17, 2015
So I got 2 silkies today, I wasn't planning on getting any new chickens until Spring, but someone in town offered them for $5 each and couldn't resist. They're so CUTE! I can't really say by attitude, since I only got to see them associate with my older ones for about 15 minutes before the older ones went to roost and I put the younger ones in the coop in a cage where they would be safe from ducks and older chickens until I can see them all together tomorrow. I don't know how to sex silkies, though. What's your best guess?

Chicken One: Headshot!

Chicken Two: Hedgehog!

Last edited:
Chicken math STRIKES AGAIN. They are beautiful birds indeed. You stole them at that price.
yesss.gif
The sexing of silkies is very difficult until they start to crow, or lay eggs. Maybe there are some top dog breeders with some tricks up their sleeve. I will just take a guess and say they are hens.. It will make you feel good at least temporarily. WISHING YOU BEST WITH THESE BEAUTIES.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! And I agree. When a neighbor asked if I was still wanting Silkies and she said her mom had some she wanted to sell and found out it was only $5 and she wanted to rehome 2 of them, I ran right over lol. Even if they do end up being boys and I have to figure out something to keep my main Roo appeased then it'll be worth it, they're so adorable! And their chirping.. hahah.

#1-cockerel
#2-pullet

That's what I guessed, and am hoping for, but I have zero experience sexing silkies. These could be mixes, too. Someone mentioned that silkies don't have single combs, and I'm pretty sure that 2nd one is a single comb.. and they are free-ranged in a yard with other banton type chickens, though they all seem to stay to their own kinds. I'm not too worried about the purity of their breed, they're adorable and that's what I love hahah. I've got so many boy guesses for both on facebook. :p Ah, well... I'll watch them tomorrow and how they act and stand and all that fun stuff! Examine their neck, too, though I'm sure they're still too young to have pointy long neck feathers or saddle feathers.

That's what I guessed, and am hoping for, but I have zero experience sexing silkies. These could be mixes, too. Someone mentioned that silkies don't have single combs, and I'm pretty sure that 2nd one is a single comb.. and they are free-ranged in a yard with other banton type chickens, though they all seem to stay to their own kinds. I'm not too worried about the purity of their breed, they're adorable and that's what I love hahah. I've got so many boy guesses for both on facebook. :p Ah, well... I'll watch them tomorrow and how they act and stand and all that fun stuff! Examine their neck, too, though I'm sure they're still too young to have pointy long neck feathers or saddle feathers.
Silkies are hard to guess on. Hopefully you have at least one pullet :)

#1-cockerel
#2-pullet

this is my guess, too.

the silkie feathering is recessive, so they had to be pure in the sense that each parent had silkie feathers. Those straight combs crop up on hatchery stock from time to time. Doesn't effect egg laying, broodiness or how cute they are one bit, just means it's not a show bird. I could live with that.

Back
Top Bottom