3 month old with neck tremors????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Jun 4, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I posted this question last week and did not get a single answer. So I am trying this again. [​IMG]

I brought home 4 Black Australorp girls at 2 days old from my local feed store, (not TSC) that came from Privett Hatchery here in New Mexico. On the second day I noticed one of them with tiny neck tremors. But it quickly progessed to violent enough tremors that it nearly made her fall over. She had no paralysis but she was very weak in the legs. She didn't eat much or drink so I hand fed her and would pick her up to dip her beak in the water to stay hydrated. She had yellow foamy diarrhea. This went on for about 7 days and then it abruptly stopped. She had lost ground as far as growth from the others, and was a bit weak for a while, but after about a month, you couldn't tell she was ill at all.

During this time I had done extensive research to figure out what was ailing her and all the symptoms matched up with AE, Avian Encephalomyelitis.

So this week she turned 3 months old. Last week I noticed some mild tremors in her neck as she was sitting on my lap. But they disappeared as quick as they came. Again mid week, I noticed more tremors that were a bit more intense, but so occasional and they disappear very quickly. Now today she is having them again and they are pretty intense, causing her head to really move around. They don't last all day however, although I don't know how long an episode lasts.

What would cause her to have these tremors? Is it a relapse of possible AE? Or does she have something else entirely. She is perfectly healthy. No mites, she eats good, poo looks normal, she is very active as ever.

What is going on and what can I do about it? I would hate to lose my baby, it would break my heart.

Thanks....Leyla

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks, but I have seen that post and it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know. Does anyone out there have any experience with their chickens have neck tremors and what ailments can cause them?

I don't know if my chick had this virus, and if she did would she still have residual tremors. If she has something else, what could it be and how can it treat it?

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Anyone else? Could this be a vitamin E deficiency?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
  6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for the link. I am going to look into it here in just a few moments. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by