3 month old with swollen, puff, hurt foot.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cfremder, Dec 31, 2016.

1. cfremder

cfremder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    One of my 3 month old chicks is limping. Here is a picture of her foot. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have your chickens been exposed to below freezing temps? When your chickens drink from their waterer, does water fall onto their feet?

Because it looks like frostbite from the photos.

Here's a good article on treatment. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

You might do a lukewarm water soak to remove any crusted on dirt and feces so you are better able to see what you're dealing with, then proceed from there.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It almost looks like it injured the foot and then froze it?

Where are you located.....Not just common frostbite....

Cheers!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

Looks like frostbite. @azygous has provided you with a good article that details treatment options. Keeping her in an area that is slightly warm and soaking the feet in lukewarm water is a good idea. (you can add epsom salts or Chlorhexidine to the soaking water if you have them).

Make sure she is staying hydrated.

Keep us posted.

5. cfremder

cfremder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you all. I am in WI and it does get below freezing. I have fixed things so there is no longer water that can fall on their feet. I believe you are right, it is frost bite. Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it. Happy New Year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by