3 month olds laying double yokes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bdp7150, Mar 11, 2009.

1. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    i went to the coop this morning and had a big surprize 9 big eggs ( i have been getting littler eggs , but not today took them in and wife and i cracked 9 eggs for breakfast and all was double yoked i guess this is ok we ate them and they were good .

is this because they are so young and still getting there egg maker straighten out . why do i have so many double yokes? what do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just lucky I suppose.

What are you feeding them?

We all want to know!!

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    what kinds chicks do you have that are laying like that Wow!

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    yeah what kind of chickens are they? I didn't know that a chicken laid eggs at 3 months old! WOW!

5. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Yeah it's because they are young and their systems are trying to figure out how to work right. Really cool that they all laid doubles on the same day. Must be the full moon. [​IMG]

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Gosh, that's awfully young to be laying already. I hope you don't have any laying issues later. The double yolkers are fine to eat. I can't say if they are laying them due to being young, but that very well could be. Chickens typically do not start laying until much later, so their reproductive systems are juvenile now. Makes sense that it could be due to that. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by