3 month pullets...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CariLynn, Jun 24, 2011.

1. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Not sure that these two are, I know the one I call "Moe" is a rooster, his poor little crow sounds like he is a wind up toy! Very plucky, has done the pimp dance at my feet and I scooped him up, carried him around to let him know that if he has any inclination of going after me he should think again. He is a bantam of some sort:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pullet, I call "Big Foot" as she is A LOT bigger than the other pullets, and they are all 3 months. I don't have any real good photo's, hoping you can tell me if she is a hen or a roo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the pullets, the two dark brown and black speckled are supposedly a Buff Orpington cross, with what we do not know. I call the two "The Golden Girls" aka "Kathyrine" and "Marilyn". You can also see my Ameracauna hen "Hawk Eye":
    [​IMG]

2. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    First three are roos and the brown colored ones are most likley pullets [​IMG]

3. CariLynn

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Thanks Moose...I know the first one is a roo, hoping to keep him and my older Buff together with no squabbles. fingers crossed!!

The 3rd photo from the top, with Moe the banty and Big Foot, you think that she is a he??

Anyone want to guess what they are? I have never seen a comb like on Moe, nor a cap of head feathers like that either.

4. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Big foot looks like an olive egger roo.

5. Sussexpenthouse

Sussexpenthouse Out Of The Brooder

The double comb looks like the comb you would find on a sicilian buttercup.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:I thought so too. It appears that whoever she got the chickens from has a really adventurous sense of humor! The small roo looks like a black faverolle mixed with a sicillian buttercup. Somewhere he got the bantam genes.

The big girl looks like a Jersey Giant mixed with a black cochin.

Actually, this flock looks like something I would do myself. I am a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to genetics [​IMG]. What a pretty outcome!

7. Sussexpenthouse

Sussexpenthouse Out Of The Brooder

What an interesting mix. I love genetics. It will be exciting to watch them grow and develop.

8. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Big Foot does look a bit rooish, but I don't see any pointed hackle feathers- very red comb and wattles though!

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Big Foot is a roo. He is starting to develop pointy hackle feathers and I think I can see saddle feathers coming in. The red leakage through the neck, back, and wings is very intense like you would see on a roo. He looks like he has a pea comb (or something close to a pea comb). I would guess he is a Brahma cross.

Moe is an interesting bird. White earlobes, crest, buttercup comb, feathered legs... A V comb bird crossed with a single combed bird could give you a comb similar to Moe's. The dark legs and lack of an extra toe rule out Sultans. Maybe a Langshan/Polish cross??? Cochin/Polish??? [​IMG]

10. CariLynn

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Thank you all for the responses, I got a smile this morning. That little flock is interesting to say the least...Moe is starting to show that snarky rooster attitude of contemplating going after my legs now but when I scoop him up, as he is small enough to get a laugh out of me at best, then carry him around and I have been flipping him over and carrying him like a baby. I want to get it into his little brain that I am the big hen and as long as he is good and kind he won't become chicken and dumplings!

The comb on Big Foot has me, never seen one like that and I have looked at SO MANY photo's of chickens, I am cross eyed! No matter what they are, I love each of them and they bring joy to our farm.

Pele, I was thinking Jersey Giant and Standard Cochin myself too! Time will tell!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by