3 months not one egg from over 20 coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by holliewould, Feb 24, 2014.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Is that normal? I have only been raising them for 2 years. I have stock from about 5 different breeders. Should I give them more time because of the time of year? Or what? I thought they laid eggs for life. My pens are 8 females to 2 cocks. I live in a place where there is only two seasons. Hot season and mosquito season. Advice???

2. pigeons in ak

pigeons in ak Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    Alaska
    do they get more than 14 hours of light? if not than thats your problem

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 no light no eggs this time of year. Mine quit in december and start back in late march if I don't light them.

4. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Nah I am looking at about 11 hours or 12 hours of light. But I did get an egg today FINALLY. So, there are certain times of the year where there are 14 hours of sunlight per day? I mean, besides where it stays lighted 6 months of the year? It has to be 14 consecutive hours of day light?

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not exactly 14 hours but closer to it than the 12 we get now if your in the US. Some of my older hens will lay spottily through those months even though there isnt "enough" light. Mostly they'll stop in december early and start again middle of march or so.

6. victor miller

victor miller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    piedmont, mo
    I put a light on mime when I want them to start laying

7. elch

elch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    the further away from the equator the longer the day in the summer and the day is shorter in the winter. And so the opposite. it just depends on the latitude.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by