3 Months

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Salt and Light, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Finished butchering the last of the 50 Freedom Rangers I received on Apr 8. I started butchering the roosters 3 weeks ago, butchered some more the following weekend and finished up with the smallest 15 today.

Almost 12 weeks and 1, 500 lbs of feed later, I have a freezer full of vacuum - packed chickens.

Sometimes I'm not sure they are worth the cost and effort, especially since I do almost all the processing by myself, but it's a nice feeling having meat in the freezer...

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I do know what you are saying. I do all mine without help and without any modern pluckers and I heat water over wood that I gather. If I do 4 or 5 in one day, I have done good. I can't imagine doing 15!

3. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Really? I did 22 last weekend and that was in about 6 or 7 hours, including vacuum sealing. I would say I can butcher a bird in about 10 minutes, if everything goes according to plan.

I no longer gut birds, so maybe that helps. Although, my son says it takes longer to cut the meat off the carcass compared to gutting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by