3 mystery genders!

PNWChickenMama

Chirping
Nov 10, 2018
Hello, I am new here and to chicken raising! We have 4 birds currently 11.5 weeks old.

3 are from TSC. 2 EE and 1 Cinnamon Queen. I’m pretty sure at least one of the EE is a pullet. The other two birds from TSC i’m iffy on! I thought we were safe on the CQ because of color sexing, but I don’t know that it’s a 1st generation CQ, so I’ve read that’s not 100% after that.

1 is from a small local hatchery. It is supposed to be a 1st gen Olive Egger. She said it was sexed by its head color. But I’m unsure now!

So here are the three I’d like some outside opinions on. :). Thanks for any input!

Olive Egger 11.5w
nC34qRv.jpg

Cinnamon Queen 11.5w
QP3inZi.jpg

hbSegy2.jpg

Easter Egger 11.5w
rAs4LVq.jpg

eHqJaYz.jpg

JedJackson

Crossing the Road
Jul 6, 2016
NW Washington state
Yep, they are all pullets. Cinnamon queens are sex linked-- TSC wouldn't be selling second generation sex links, so yours is the right color for a female. Also, its comb and wattles are pale and small, like a pullet of that age.

The olive egger is probably a black copper Marans/ cream Legbar cross. I don't know what the breeder was talking about with being able to sex them by head color, unless she or he meant the head spots that are present in barred birds. A male legbar crossed to a female BC Marans would give barred males and non-barred females, so only males have head spots as chicks, not the females. But yours is a definite pullet, regardless.

The Easter egger is also definitely a pullet. Small, pale comb, and female type coloring.

So you lucked out, unless you wanted a cockerel.

Top Bottom