3 mystery genders!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PNWChickenMama, Nov 10, 2018.

1. PNWChickenMama

PNWChickenMama Hatching

Nov 10, 2018
    Hello, I am new here and to chicken raising! We have 4 birds currently 11.5 weeks old.

3 are from TSC. 2 EE and 1 Cinnamon Queen. I’m pretty sure at least one of the EE is a pullet. The other two birds from TSC i’m iffy on! I thought we were safe on the CQ because of color sexing, but I don’t know that it’s a 1st generation CQ, so I’ve read that’s not 100% after that.

1 is from a small local hatchery. It is supposed to be a 1st gen Olive Egger. She said it was sexed by its head color. But I’m unsure now!

So here are the three I’d like some outside opinions on. :). Thanks for any input!

Olive Egger 11.5w
    [​IMG]

Cinnamon Queen 11.5w
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Easter Egger 11.5w
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!
    Can you post additional pictures of each bird showing the entire bird from the side so we can see legs and saddle feathers too?

3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

They all look like females to me.
    Especially the CQ, my CQ looked the same at 12 weeks and she is a hen :)
    The OE is definitely a female, and I'm pretty confident the EE is also.

4. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    All three are pullets. Nice looking birds, too.

5. PNWChickenMama

PNWChickenMama Hatching

Nov 10, 2018
    Hopefully this helps! It's hard to get them still. :D

OE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CQ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    Yep, they are all pullets. Cinnamon queens are sex linked-- TSC wouldn't be selling second generation sex links, so yours is the right color for a female. Also, its comb and wattles are pale and small, like a pullet of that age.

The olive egger is probably a black copper Marans/ cream Legbar cross. I don't know what the breeder was talking about with being able to sex them by head color, unless she or he meant the head spots that are present in barred birds. A male legbar crossed to a female BC Marans would give barred males and non-barred females, so only males have head spots as chicks, not the females. But yours is a definite pullet, regardless.

The Easter egger is also definitely a pullet. Small, pale comb, and female type coloring.

So you lucked out, unless you wanted a cockerel.

7. puffypoo

puffypoo Free Ranging

Oct 3, 2015
    Western Massachussetts
    I didn’t think cinnamon queens had rose Combs and black feathers...

8. PNWChickenMama

PNWChickenMama Hatching

Nov 10, 2018
    Whew - thanks everyone. We can't house roosters in my town, so we have been crossing our fingers and toes!

@JedJackson - yes, that's what she meant, the head spot. I worded it wrong, my bad. :)

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yes, they are all pullets. Good for you!

drumstick diva and JedJackson like this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The only one that I have any doubts about is the 'cinnamon queen'. I don't think it is a cinnamon queen, and although there is no male specific feathering conformation is a bit masculine. The other 3 are pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: