3 nearly drowned welch harlequins 2 months old, HELP!

Ms Lydia gives some of the best advice you can hope to get. But, usually ducks are not ready for unsupervised swim time until 8-10 weeks of age minimum. Until they have their adult feathers no more than 5-10 minutes in the water no matter how they seem to enjoy it and then only if it is warm or they have a warm place to go and dry out. Ducks love water but this experience might stay with them so don't be too surprised if they seem afraid of water for a while. Make sure they have an easy way to get in and out of the water, you can use bricks or stones to gradually get to the edge of the pool. I too do not know what happened to make them loose their down but it sound like you have it under control now. Just keep them warm and give them a lot of attention. I am glad they are improving.

You know, I got these sweeties on an impulse. Now I am so smitten with them! They are so loving and fun. I can't thank all of you at BYC enough for your advice. This went from terrifying to hopeful. Though I hate what happened, I loved hugging them in warm towels for several hours. They snuggled right up to our necks. I think they liked it just a little. :)

You know, I got these sweeties on an impulse. Now I am so smitten with them! They are so loving and fun. I can't thank all of you at BYC enough for your advice. This went from terrifying to hopeful. Though I hate what happened, I loved hugging them in warm towels for several hours. They snuggled right up to our necks. I think they liked it just a little.
smile.png
Very few of God's creatures will not respond to a little love and affection. I have found that birds are particularly adept at responding to a gentle touch and a soft voice. Some birds will, in fact, stop even trying to live if their human companion is gone for a period of time. They are very special creatures. My chickens, ducks and geese are all so totally different but are all the same in that they seem to really like me and what I am able to do for them. In return they chatter at me in soft tones, snuggle against me when I sit in their run with them, tug at my pant legs or shoe strings when I walk with them in the field. All little things that you might never expect a bird to do.

I am happy that your little ones are recovering and that you have such a warm affection for them. That alone may contribute to their recovery more than anything else you might do.

I had one of my blue runners push from my hand last week and fell into bedding. Wasnt very far, but she hurt her hip. I feel so badfor her but she is getting better. She has let me give her a lot of love. They are 3 weeks old now. They went into the big brooder cage tonight. I gave them (4) all a little extra hug and thought of your babies. Please keep us updated.

Very few of God's creatures will not respond to a little love and affection. I have found that birds are particularly adept at responding to a gentle touch and a soft voice. Some birds will, in fact, stop even trying to live if their human companion is gone for a period of time. They are very special creatures. My chickens, ducks and geese are all so totally different but are all the same in that they seem to really like me and what I am able to do for them. In return they chatter at me in soft tones, snuggle against me when I sit in their run with them, tug at my pant legs or shoe strings when I walk with them in the field. All little things that you might never expect a bird to do.

I am happy that your little ones are recovering and that you have such a warm affection for them. That alone may contribute to their recovery more than anything else you might do.

Your post nearly brought me to tears. I cant believe how supportive all of you have been. I believe one would be hard pressed to find a farmer who doesn't pray for the animals in their charge. All things are in His hands, but sometimes he expects us to use our hands to bring about His blessings. Thank you for being His angels to me.

I had one of my blue runners push from my hand last week and fell into bedding. Wasnt very far, but she hurt her hip. I feel so badfor her but she is getting better. She has let me give her a lot of love. They are 3 weeks old now. They went into the big brooder cage tonight. I gave them (4) all a little extra hug and thought of your babies. Please keep us updated.

I will pray for your babies, as you pray for mine. I will update on their progress. They are resting well right now and even quack every now and then.

They look to be feathered in pretty well, the missing feathers is surely a mystery though but you can put some healing salve on there back and it will at least soothe the area till the feathers start growing back. Beautiful ducks love the WH coloring. Please keep us updated on how they are doing, I think with your TLC they will be fine.
smile.png

The sweet babies are doing great! I put them in the bathtub with warm water to their knees. Just for a little treat. Just 5 minutes. They are buddy bound. So if I take one away the others yell until I come for them. They are so obedient. I put them on the floor in front of their cage afterwards and they marched right inside. They still love to be held in warm towels. Ok, I still love to hold them in warm towels. I rubbed neosporin burn cream on their backs. The skin feels hard and scaly. Its not soft and supple at all. Do you think they are picking at each other? I see them nibble on one another every now and then. It seems innocent enough but should I be concerned?

Last edited:
The sweet babies are doing great! I put them in the bathtub with warm water to their knees. Just for a little treat. Just 5 minutes. They are buddy bound. So if I take one away the others yell until I come for them. They are so obedient. I put them on the floor in front of their cage afterwards and they marched right inside. They still love to be held in warm towels. Ok, I still love to hold them in warm towels. I rubbed neosporin burn cream on their backs. The skin feels hard and scaly. Its not soft and supple at all. Do you think they are picking at each other? I see them nibble on one another every now and then. It seems innocent enough but should I be concerned?
I would not be too concerned at this point. It sounds like they have all the care they need in you. Don't worry too much about their backs, just give it time for their feathers to grow back. When I got my geese (3 Toulouse) I got them as juveniles from a re-seller in Burnet, TX. Drove down, picked them up and brought them home. They had the feathers on their back nibbled off due to too crowded housing at the seller but it was no time that the feathers grew in and I now have three of the best looking Toulouse geese you have ever seen. My ducks act crazy with one another and sometimes I worry that they are getting too aggressive but I have to just watch and know that this is all part of what they do and be ready to step in if needed. Today I had to separate my adult ducks from the young Cayugas because the adult males were attacking the young Cayuga males. With time that will pass. So, just remember that it will take some time for your babies to heal. Make sure their backs do not get infected and let it be exposed to air as much as possible. They will be fine in no time.

I would not be too concerned at this point. It sounds like they have all the care they need in you. Don't worry too much about their backs, just give it time for their feathers to grow back. When I got my geese (3 Toulouse) I got them as juveniles from a re-seller in Burnet, TX. Drove down, picked them up and brought them home. They had the feathers on their back nibbled off due to too crowded housing at the seller but it was no time that the feathers grew in and I now have three of the best looking Toulouse geese you have ever seen. My ducks act crazy with one another and sometimes I worry that they are getting too aggressive but I have to just watch and know that this is all part of what they do and be ready to step in if needed. Today I had to separate my adult ducks from the young Cayugas because the adult males were attacking the young Cayuga males. With time that will pass. So, just remember that it will take some time for your babies to heal. Make sure their backs do not get infected and let it be exposed to air as much as possible. They will be fine in no time.
Just to add to this.. they may have done this to each other in the first place out of stress from not being able to get out of the water, so if you notice raw skin then I'd go get some Blue Kote and spray these areas, it sprays out purple so be sure to wear gloves and old clothes and don't do it in your house. because it stains but is the best stuff to disguise a would and get their minds off of it. it also aids in healing. keep using the burn cream but get the BK if you need it, TSC carries it and it's very inexpensive.

Sounds like they are spoiled lil ones and loving it. Great TLC

Back
Top Bottom