1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shamrox88, Apr 15, 2007.

1. shamrox88

shamrox88 New Egg

Apr 15, 2007
    Hey,
    I just came across this forum...and im hoping to get some good info bout my 3 new chicks.
    Ill start off with my brief history with chickens. About two years ago I purchased 5 Barred Plymouth Rock hens, as chicks. They grew up into beautiful and semi-tame hens who laid eggs about every day. One day, however, my lab crossed pit bull decided to play with one, and though she didn't hurt the hen, she scared it literally to death.
    After that little set back, we purchased 2 baby Americaunas. These were the most beautiful chickens I have ever seen. We got them when they were about 2 weeks old and separated part of the coup so that the older chickens could check out the new babies. However, another set back happened when a raccoon or varment came into the pen by ripping open the chicken wire and took one of the chicks, leaving the other with a broken wing. This surviving chick we named Chicken Little. The other chickens never became accustomed to Chicken Little and tormented her constantly. She was the sweetest chicken too. The best personality. I went away for a few weeks and my dad took care of them. Sadly, he didnt watch them well enough and the barred plymouths killed Chicken Little. He was so upset that he gave the remaining 4 chickens to a man who had a farm where they could live.
    So I have been without chickens for about 8 months now. But, today I cleaned the coup out and went to the feed store and bought the last 3 chicks. They are Black sex-link, and supposedly all females. They are about 1-2 weeks I believe and they seem fine outside in the California sun. Should I be worried about leaving them in the coup? (it is now safe from predators...) Let me know, please! Sorry for the EXTREMELY lengthy entry.

2. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    If you have an enclosed area that is free of drafts where they can be kept at between 90 to 95 degrees F and they have all the proper food, water and supplies that they need, they should be fine. You can also check out the Raising Chickens 101 on the home page of backyardchickens.com for all the info you need for chicks. Also, a good book to get is called "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens." You can find them used on amazon.com.

Otherwise, they should be fine (as long as they're safe from predators). [​IMG]

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Agree 100% with hypnojessie, ditto, ditto and ditto!! [​IMG]

BTW, welcome to the forum shamrox88 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by