3 new Pekings 1 snores I think

bindy003

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Hi I am a new duck owner. I have 3 peking ducklings they are 4 weeks old one of my little ones makes noises all nite long it sounds like it is snoring im just wondering if this is normal also they do have the runs I keep them inside with me they get fed duckling food and they have water around them 24/7 we go out everyday so they can swim in there pool or there pond they do have a pen but they are only in there when I have to go out other wise they are with me im scared to let them sleep in there pen over nite cause it is in my barn and we have mice I was scared that mice or other little creatures might hurt them or they might not be able to defend themselves which is probally morw me being overprotective then them not being able to do anything without me so if u have any adivce on any of this even my overprotectiveness I would love to hear it due to me being new at this any advice is welcomed

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. I've had a few ducklings who have made somewhat of a snoring noise when they were sleeping. They were all healthy and seemed unaffected by it. What color is it? Duck poop in general is pretty runny. You are correct to worry about the safety of the babies. Mice have been known to attack young birds.

Hi I am a new duck owner. I have 3 peking ducklings they are 4 weeks old one of my little ones makes noises all nite long it sounds like it is snoring im just wondering if this is normal also they do have the runs I keep them inside with me they get fed duckling food and they have water around them 24/7 we go out everyday so they can swim in there pool or there pond they do have a pen but they are only in there when I have to go out other wise they are with me im scared to let them sleep in there pen over nite cause it is in my barn and we have mice I was scared that mice or other little creatures might hurt them or they might not be able to defend themselves which is probally morw me being overprotective then them not being able to do anything without me so if u have any adivce on any of this even my overprotectiveness I would love to hear it due to me being new at this any advice is welcomed
Ducklings really don't get the runs but they can have very runny poop it goes with the territory, all the water they drink and stuff they eat.lol. now if they became sick they may get the runs but just normal duckling poo is pretty watery. At 4 weeks old they could probably live in a nice pen inside your barn if it is very secure because the mice wouldn't hurt them but a lot of other things would love a nice duck dinner, raccoons, mink, weasel, fox etc I think you get the picture, so having them in a very safe secure house is important. My Muscovies will eat small mice now rats are another story rats could hurt a duckling but probably wouldn't mess with Pekins that are 4 weeks old. as for snoring maybe it has feed in it's nares do they have a water bowl deep enough to dunk their heads into to wash their eyes and nares out? very important for water fowl to be able to wash their faces. Sounds like you care about your ducks very much and I'm glad you have come to BYC, Welcome! and we love pics if you have any you want to share. Oh and about the pen you want to make sure nothing can climb in over the top too.

The poop is dark brown and smells awful since they have full run of my bedroom cleaning is really a chore the stuff u do when u fall in love with ducklings I just want to make sure that the duck is not sick its more one than the other two however all of them have had it the dark brown running smelly poop

Sounds like they may be getting quite a bit of protein. What feed are you using? Any treats or supplements? Have you seen the sticky on raising ducklings? I am glad you are concerned. Rodents can hurt ducklings.

In my room they have a water dish deep enough that they can sit in it one at a time now but they do stick their head in it all the time and when they sit in it the get everything wet floor walls themselves my husband is not a big fan of them being in the house however I keep it pretty much poop free I go threw a lot of toliet paper lol. Their pen is very closed in I will send a pic tommorrow cause it is raining out really bad right now and maybe u can let me know if its ok to keep them out overnite I will also send picsof them when I have a little better light

In my room they have a water dish deep enough that they can sit in it one at a time now but they do stick their head in it all the time and when they sit in it the get everything wet floor walls themselves my husband is not a big fan of them being in the house however I keep it pretty much poop free I go threw a lot of toliet paper lol. Their pen is very closed in I will send a pic tommorrow cause it is raining out really bad right now and maybe u can let me know if its ok to keep them out overnite I will also send picsof them when I have a little better light
It's pouring rain here right now too. what a day but boy did the ducks enjoy the mud. I even have a few pics to prove it. soon as I upload them. When we had just 1 duckling in the house I went through a lot of paper towels so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Im using 16% protien in thirty feed its chick starter food I haven't given them any treats I didn't know they could have anything but duck food boy sounds like I got a lot to learn to be a good duck mom

Back
Top Bottom