3 Newbie Ameracaunas Joined the Flock and only laid 1 green egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pgras123, Mar 1, 2009.

1. pgras123

pgras123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    Well now I know not to introduce newbies in a flock if you can help it. I added chickens once before and it finally worked out after some issues - but they were of the same breed.

Around the holidays I put the 3 Americauna Pullets in with the ladies. They did have 1 month to warm up to each other in seperate areas. It didn't go well at first and they still hide under the nest boxes away from the flock some -although I think they are warming up.

Now finally about 10 days ago I got my first green egg! I thought they might be getting ready to laY! But since then nothing. Unless they are going in the nest boxes and laying brown eggs!!??

I think they are kind of skitish but they are very handsome birds. Is this what I get for trying to make an egg producer out of one of these birds? What do you think of 3 Americauna's laying one green egg and then nothing? Thanks to all.[​IMG]

2. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Give 'em a little more time. Some chickens don't take kindly to changes. Once spring really hits, the others will hopefully start.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Youth plays a major part here. Americaunas seem to start laying later than most, so hang in there. Also, you will find that Americaunas are not sissies. When they mature they will be dominant

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you have Easter Eggersrather than Ameraucanas, it's definitely possible that one is laying a brown egg.

5. pgras123

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    Thanks, good info and who knows if there eastereggers or Americaunas? I will research. I know the "farm" I bought them from said Americaunas, but who knows.

6. pgras123

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    Wow, there is some hard to read info on the difference between Americanaus and Easter Eggers on the internet . I need to go feed the kids now but I will research later . I know that egg was more green than blue and my birds have their tuff's on the side of their face.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    It sounds like you have Easter Eggers. Ameraucanas will give you a blue egg.

God Bless,

8. pokachix

pokachix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Buckley WA
    I have 4 EE's. 1 has an olive colored egg, 1 light blue, one beigy & 1 pinkish. Gonna get 10 more on Wed, will be fun to see what they do. J

9. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an Ameracauna that lays light green eggs!

It's Hawk's first egg on Feb 2nd.

[​IMG]

Meet Hawk, she's on the left, in January just before she started laying.

[​IMG]

Enjoy your Ameracaunas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by