3 of my new shipped chicks are limping???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happyhour4pm, Dec 15, 2011.

1. happyhour4pm

happyhour4pm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    I am hoping for some advise. I just received my 15 new Barnvelder chicks in the mail. They shipped out Tuesday morning and were in my brooder by noon Thursday, so transit was fairly quick?
    I have 3 of them that are limping and not using one of their legs at all. They are holding their legs up and the toes seem kinda curled. They don't appear to be broken and when you pick them up the legs look and hang normal with and no deformities. I tried to read on here about it but could not find any thing for this particular problem??
    I know the sooner I do something the better. I have went ahead and hobbled them with the band aid method, they are not happy about and I am not sure I did the right thing??

2. FarmFreshEggs

FarmFreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    Vero Beach
    Im sorry to hear obout your chicks. What hatchery did they come from? They could just be stressed from the long ride and may take a couple of days to heal. Just to be sure I would call the place you orderd them from.

3. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Well, I bought one at TSC that I felt sorry for in the spring, she had a definate leg issue. I'm relatively new at this, but I massaged her leg quite often during the day to keep the blood circulation & used Poly-visol (without iron from Walmart infant/vitamin section) & some sugar water & wetted down white bread. After about a week there was a big difference. I don't know what her problem was, I'm not experienced enough, but I knew it wasn't broken & wanted her to have a chance. I hope I've been a little help.

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    are thier legs held stiffly in front or behind them? that could mean mareks [​IMG] if they're standing around with one foot tucked up into thier breast feathers they are probably just stressed from the trip. add a little sugar to thier water to give them energy and provide them with some vitamin and electrolyte supplements. it's not uncommon for shipped birds to need an energy boost when they arrive.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. happyhour4pm

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    Well.... Their legs are not stuff....... The more I watch them from the side view, they are tip toed on their bad leg with the hobbles on.
    They do not want to put any weight on the bad leg......... They are not happy about the hobbles and are spending a lot of their time picking at them or just laying and resting. They all seem ok other wise, eating, drinking, happy to be warm.[​IMG]
    I did notice one of the seemingly normal ones standing at the feed standing with one of his feet on his his knuckles ???

I really hope that they are just pooped from the trip??? They are so pretty and seem happy???

6. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    It could be injury also could be vitamin def. i would give them Poly visol without iron.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Vitamin water.

8. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I also use save-a-chick or high performance vitamins that come in a pack to mix in their water.

9. happyhour4pm

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    I used save a chick as soon as I unpacked them.

2 of the chicks were on there death bed when i unpacked them. They were in the corner kinda limp but alive? I gave them a couple eye droppers of the save a chick mixed with water. For the rest of them I mixed the SAC in the water bottle. The 2 that I fed the save a chick to in the dropper died within an hour?? I am not sure why? I didn't force Them to drink and kept them warm??
    It is almost 9pm and the limping chicks are still not using their legs at all?
    I guess I see how they are after a restful night.
    Thanks for the suggestions........

10. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I would call the place that shipped them in the morning and report it to them. they may replace the ones that you lose. sorry I couldnt be of more help. I hope your babies get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by