3 of our 9 month old chickens molting and still laying regularly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nopogirls, Jan 18, 2011.

1. nopogirls

nopogirls New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    I was under the impression that when chickens molt, they stop laying. Out of our 6 chickens, there are 3 who are laying and they also seem to be the ones who have been losing the most feathers. In fact, Lily, the Plymouth Barred Rock was our earliest and is the most productive and has been without feathers on her back for about two months They are all new layers and we do have morning and evening lights that come on in their chicken run. Does this seem abnormal or should we be doing something different? Or just be thankful we have happy, molting, laying chickens?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] Frankly, I'd be happy they were laying at all!

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If it is just the back feather, it may not be a molt. This is just a sign of being over mated by the rooster. If you don't have a rooster, then you may have a dominant hen that is mounting the other hens in rooster fashion.

Matt

4. nopogirls

nopogirls New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    We don't have a rooster...but could see that as a possibility. We have a Brahma that is a bit domineering and doesn't seem to have the loss of feathers like the others. So is there anything to do about that (a dominant hen), if that is the case?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by