3 of the 4 went Broody.... *sigh*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cricketmt, Oct 22, 2015.

1. cricketmt

cricketmt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    I have a problem with Broody hens...we only have 4 hens, two of which are small black bantams. No roosters. I expected the broodies from the Bantams having had them as a kid. We got the wire crate, and when the first one went broody, it only took a few days to get her out of the mode, but then the 2nd went broody. Again just a few days.

Now we have a problem. We have 3 broody's, the two bantams and the buff orpington. I don't have room in the coop for 3 crates (there's barely room for 1 with the other hens out). On top of that, we don't have daylight til I'm long gone for the day for work, and while it's getting cold at night (down to the mid-20's), sunrise isn't til 7:30 or so. I'm hesitant to leave the broody breaker outside in the dark. Days are still warming into the 60's, so I could leave the crate in the coop all day, but access the nest boxes gets difficult for the hens just due to the layout of the coop.

I was considering just doing one hen at a time, but it's very difficult with the shortening days. Or could I broody break both bantams in one crate? That might make things easier. The buff orpington has already defeathered her breast...she's a scary hen when she's like this!

Any recommendations? I had to chuckle (with a bit of dismay) when I went out to put the chickens to bed the other night and couldn't find Tiny, the smallest bantam. After frantic searching through coop and run, I finally opened the nest boxes and she was tucked in with the other Bantam in the same nest box with her head under Cass' wing. Silly chickens.

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I don't know... I will think about it.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never broken a broody intentionally, but I don't see why you couldn't do 2 at once. Or even rotate through them. Definitely keep them inside after dark.

4. cricketmt

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    Thanks, that was my thought too. We leave for work just before 7 am and it's dark still, so I left the wire crate inside the coop with the window open. I am doing the two banties at once. Lucy, the Buff is still acting very broody...I moved her out of the nest boxes to the outside enclosure so she would eat and drink....she was crazy. Ran around flapping her wings and then puffed all out and settled down in the dirt....she's next. She's pulled out all of her breast feathers and hardly eats or goes outdoors.

Do your broody hens eventually come out of it? Our only sane one right now is our Easter Egger...she's so lonely out and about on her own, I feel bad for her.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I mostly give mine eggs to hatch. But I did have a couple that sat for a long time and didn't hatch anything. (switching nests, eggs getting squished when other hens came to lay, etc) Those couple of hens (Marans) did finally give up and broke themselves.

6. cricketmt

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    Well that was quick! The two bantams take the longest it seems...3 days. But Lucy, our Buff, one day in that thing and she was DONE. YAY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by