3 old ducks + 3 new duck = 1 flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by columbiacritter, Jun 17, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have 3 khakis who are 3yrs old and 3 runners who are 9 wks old. They've been together for about a week but the runners show no interest in following the older ducks leads. I was hoping they would flock with the older ducks and learn the free ranging routine from them. So far no interest in leaving the run let alone being with the older ducks. The runners have walked over to the open gate several times then headed straight back to their comfort zone around their shelter.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Just give it time. At first the ducks like to stick together in their own little cliques, but eventually they'll all mix.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:If you insist on speeding up the process take one of your old ducks and place in with the new ducks, watch out for fights. Once the four form a flock add the other 2 old ducks to the flock and watch for fights again. Just be aware that sometimes they never do form a single flock.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:If you insist on speeding up the process take one of your old ducks and place in with the new ducks, watch out for fights. Once the four form a flock add the other 2 old ducks to the flock and watch for fights again. Just be aware that sometimes they never do form a single flock.

They are in the same run though sleeping in separate houses and so far very little aggression. The Head Campbell refuses to let the youngsters anywhere near the big duck pool, but otherwise they are peacable. As soon as the big ducks head out to free range when I get home the ducklings rush over to the forbidden pool and dabble in it. They aren't big enough to climb in yet.

5. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    I have been trying to mix for 2.5 years, The front ducks hate the back ducks and vice versa. It is like gang wars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by