3 Or 4 In My New Eglu-go??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by francielcsw, Sep 26, 2011.

1. francielcsw

francielcsw New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    Just Got Our First Chickens: 2 Leghorns; 1 Barred Rock, All Around 1 Year Old.

Question: We Have An Eglu-go, Which Says One Can House Up To 4 Medium Chickens In It. I Had The Opportunity To Get An Americauna, That Lived With The Above Hens, But Have Not Yet Done So, As I Wasn't Sure About Crowding Them. Based On Eglu-go Users' Experience: Would They All Be Comfortable In There, Or Would It Be Too Crowded? Would Love To Get The Americauna If Possible, But Am Waiting For Now.....

Thanks!

2. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Well, I have heard a lot about the Eglu. So, you really want to get this Americauna...

To me Eglu's are tiny as, but great for people who live in the city. We live on 14'000 acres so we have plenty of room. But I always give my chooks some ''extra'' room. So if I were you I would stick with what I got. Though I would never have that few of chooks! But really it is up to you and if you want this Americauna then go get it! If the maximum is 4 then get 4 if you want to. And so, it really this is your choice.

I hope I was helpful...

3. angusshangus

angusshangus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    I have an eglu go here in suburban NJ... It's the perfect solution for where I live. I have 3 bantam sized hens living in mine and the coop itself seems large enough if I wanted to add a fourth BUT I think the run would get too crowded. I think 3 is probably about right for this coop but four would probably be ok if you let them out of the run during the day for awhile.

Don't believe the eglu haters! For those of us who live in urban/suburban parts of the US it's a great solution!

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    At least 2 square feet per bird (for large fowl), regardless of what you're using for a coop. Less than that starts increasing the risk for aggression among the flock.

5. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    We started off with an Eglu (and now have something much larger (http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/06/13/new-chicken-coop-with-surprise/) and 3 medium sized birds. I think that you could get the fourth if they had more run area - that run just seems quite limiting. Even when we had just the Eglu and 3 chickens, we let them out of the run. Our Eglu has now transitioned to the place where we let the Broody hens raise their chicks for the first few weeks - it works great for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by