1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 or 4 month old muscovy with bowed legs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Jul 20, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    a few weeks ago i got given 21 muscovy 'ducklings' (between 2 months and 5 months old)
    one of the middle sized scovies have since developed 'bowed legs' (think james dean style western walk, or someone whos been horseriding for the first time)

none of the others are showing this problem so i was going to rule out a vitmain deficiency...but im wondering is that still possible? they are all still in quarantine, so all together and eating the same stuff.....

its gradually gotten worse over the last week to the point thats its really obvious and shes prefering not to walk and spending more time sitting...

i was thinking of giving her a sort of banding like with splay leg (taping the legs a bit closer together as they are getting further apart)

could it be a form of splay leg perhaps? would it not have shown sooner though? for the rest shes happy and healthy so im willing to work with her to get this solved if possible [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    would photos maybe help? i can try and get some in the morning.....
    just want to try and help the poor little thing!

4. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Yes, I'm sure that photos would help. [​IMG]

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well the little one passed away some time today, just got home from work and found it dead in the grass [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by