1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 or 5 gal buckets!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AtRendeAcres, Jun 27, 2007.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I just notice in mcmurrayhatchery.com

turn your bucket into a waterer...
    this is for a 3 to 5 gallon bucket it's just like the base that attaches to the mason jars (except bigger)

but I don't want to pay $25 buy the time you get through with shipping!

I am wondering if any one know were we can get cheeper!

wonder if they have for food too:/

2. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    Why don't you make your own? Just go to your local china-mart or grocery store's deli or bakery dept and ask if they have any old buckets. then go back to the garden dept and look for one of those plastic red round trays that the plastic pots sit in. Then go home and cut or drill about a 4 in dia hole in the bottom, flip upside down so that the bottom is now the top & attach it. simple as that. And a lot cheaper too. For a waterer just turn the bucket right side up, then drill some 1/4 in holes around the base and attach the base tray the same way.

Forrest

3. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:Dumb question on the "upside down bucket" waterer, does the bucket still have it lid on it?

Farmer Mack [​IMG]:cool:[​IMG]

4. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I seen some of them the other day at our local Runnings store. Not sure what you have where you are, but that's what we have. I had considered it. I really need to switch over to Galvinized so I can use heaters. Yesterday it was 0 degrees at 6:30 AM

5. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
  6. FarmerMack

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:I founnd the bucket upside down one thanks, only drawback i can see is that the ladies will want to roost on the top of the bucket. I'll have to devise a cone for the top or something.

Farmer Mack
    [​IMG]

7. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    I've seen folks put an upside down funnel on top of their feeders. That might work for the waterer too, but you'll need a biiiiiig funnel.

8. FarmerMack

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:ya really big funnel LOL:lol: I'll come up with something slippery like the dunce cap cone i put on the chick feeder. funny how all these plastic items for cihckens are flat knowing they willing roost on them when given the chance. [​IMG]

Fatmer Mack [​IMG]

9. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    hey go to my page i made a feeder out of a 2 gal bucket and a 5 gal. hanging in my run. im gona try the water bucket but havent needed it yet.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  10. FarmerMack

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    I'm going with the 5 gal bucket with a black rubber pan underneath, figured that I'd set it on a cider block in the coop for the winter under a heat lamp attached to a "thermal cube". since the window is fairly big 46"X47" and gets lots of sunlight it may help keeo the water thawed out on a sunny day without the heat lamp on.

Farmer Mack [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by