3 out of 22

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jackiedon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG] Well the last order I got from Napontail were the ones the postal worker rubbered banded to my mailbox and as I tried to take the box the rubber band broke and I dropped the box.

None were broken but when I candled them they looked like they yolks were scrambled. I had 5 viable. 2 have hatched and are really health 1 phoenix and 1 silkie - silver. The 3rd one hatched but it's not looking really good.

I took the other 2 out and they had stopped developing probably about day 14.

I had a talk with the post master and he said that it was not wise to mail eggs anyway. I explained to him I had 2 other orders that turned out great.

jackie

2. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I'm sorry! :aww That really stinks!!! I'm having a rough go with hatching, too. This is my first time and I feel like an out of control obsessive compulsive mother! I want to candle them everyday, but I know better! This whole waiting around thing stinks!!!! You wouldn't think 21 days would be that long, especially since I've been through 3 pregnancies of my own and waited 280 days for them to arrive. I'm going out of my mind and I'm only on day 5!!!!

3. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    We incubated 13 and 12 hatched, beautiful and healthy. I did candle them every day. Tried to keep them in the same position, not turn them around when looking at them. It was the longest 21 days of our lives.... By the way out of the 12 that hatched, 8 were roos!

4. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Great!!! I have 40 in the incubator right now and I don't want 27 roos if they all hatch!!! [​IMG] I just went thru a bunch of roos that I had picked up as straight runs. Out of 15 I had 11 roos!!! Yikes! I hope that I get some pullets!!!! [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:That's some roo luck! No wonder you hatched so many. [​IMG]

Next time though, don't worry about rolling them around when you look at them. You need to turn them at least 3 times a day anyways. [​IMG]

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That was the same with me I had 25 eggs from 2 different people and only 3 hatched. I took the last egg out yesterday morning it was on day 26. I put it in a baggie and cracked it open it was a fully formed chick but it never even broke into the air cell. This chick is from the batch of eggs that I had one chick hatch with one bent toe. Most of that batch wasn't fertile. Then two eggs died at 14 days when I cracked them open. The other batch several were broken and then a couple were not fertile. But the one lady did send me 4 more eggs as a replacement but one broke in shipping. I didn't ask the other lady to send me any more of her eggs. As they get to a certain point then die and I don't want a buch of chicks with bents toes. When I hatch my own eggs from my flock they turn out great no problems at all. I really think the post office is super hard on the shipping boxes. Next time I think when & if I decide to order more eggs. I think I will tell them I want them overnighted and I'll pay the extra for it. Instead of them bouncing around for 3 days in the mail.

7. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sorry you didn't have a better hatch but at least you had a few. Did you say you had a silver silkie? I hatched 2 yesterday that are silver looking. They have blue or dark looking feet, i was thinking maybe they were blue silkies. But they may not evern be silkies. I ordered the feather legged assortment so I am not 100% sure what all of them are.

Jennifer

8. jackiedon

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    It looks light gray silverish but I remember JJ telling me her white silkies had a silver gene? The 3rd one is still not looking really great. My 11 yr old was up all night crying and trying to get it to drink scared it was going to die. It made it through the night and day.

jackie

9. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Sorry to hear about your low hatch, but at least you got a few.

I didn't do real well with the two orders of eggs I got through the mail either. It doesn't seem like a lot of people get decent hatch rates from mail order eggs this time of year.

10. jackiedon

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I just hope the phoenix I hatched is a roo because I ordered 2 female phoenix and I would like a roo to breed. But I am so excited over the 1 silkie because it's beautful. So I am excited over what I did get.

jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by