3 out of 4 are BOYS

shellybean40

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Boerne, TX
My broody hen hatched 4 eggs 10 weeks ago and i have now discovered that 3 out of the 4 are BOYS!! I heard one of them crow about 3 weeks ago ( early, right?). Today, I observed one of them trying to mount the one little hen I have out of this small hatch. Isn't this a little young to be doing that??

Now to figure out what to do with my 3 little mutt roos.

I'm sorry to hear about so many roos. I hope you can find them good homes. Craiglist is a good way to find them homes. If your just giving them away you could try Freecycle.

I am definitely giving them away. They are mixed breeds. Really Cute. One is an EE and I am tempted to keep him.
big_smile.png

I got 50% roosters out of 6 eggs hatched.

Mine are 7 weeks old. I wonder whether they'll start crowing right away?

We were lucky, out of 16 we had 4 roos, thats all. We were very surprised, yet also very happy.

Thats a little young for them to be exhibiting that behavior....2 1/2 months old and you say they are crowing and mounting hens???? Hmmmmm :-/ what breeds are they...I think you need to give them at least 2 more months if not 3 b4 kicking them to the curb a FOR SURE males.

I read that most roosters start to crow at 5 months, some as late as 8 months, and some as early as 2 months, so your roo is definitely precocious!

I love my roos equally as much as my hens. I don't care about eggs. It's the personality I enjoy.

Clare

This is not the first time I have had a boy that young crow. It is a little raspy, but they crow one after each other. If I can get a video of it, I will post it. I am also flabbergasted that I saw the one mount the little hen. She is half bantam, so she is really little compared to him. She was so scared, poor baby. My EE boy actually has some small saddle feathers, but no crowing yet. I just cannot believe how young they are crowing!!

Oh! Two of the boys Mom was half polish, half I don't have a clue. (lol)and their Dad was a beautiful EE, and the other boy's Mom and Dad were both EE's . They all have green feet. Hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom