3 out of 4 hens broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by easton coop, May 29, 2010.

1. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    I knew it was too good to be true when we were getting 4 eggs a day! we now get 1 egg! I only wish they would take it in turns! We on't have enough room or time for chicks although I would love it to happen. Hopefully back to normal after a month of grumpy hens!! [​IMG]

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    You need to break those hens of their broodiness! Get yourself a wire cage and put them in it. One at a time is probably best. I once tried two at a time and they ate each other up in their grumpiness. Anyway, a wire cage, no bedding, only food and water. Preferably raised up off the ground. Leave them in there full time until they stop pucking and puffing up.

A broody hen is great if you want babies, but if you don't want babies... And three out of four, YIKES! Hurry, start breaking broody hens ASAP. [​IMG]

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I recently had two out of three go broody at the same time. They can drive you nuts trying to break them; it's easiest to just let them sit on air for 20+ days.
    BTW, I did let one hatch four chicks, but as for the other one, I tried just about everything to break her; nothing worked, so I let her sit with no eggs for three weeks.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I know this is a problem..... I just want to have it!!! 5 hens and NOONE wants to go broody! ugh! I want someone to raise some chicks for me. Hope you can break it, I wish I could start it. hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by