3 paralyzed chickens, mareks disease?? HELP

chickenmama825

Hatching
Sep 12, 2022
Hello,

I have now 3 chickens that have gone down and cannot stand or do anything for themselves. I have only learned today that we should have vaccinated our chickens (I was not aware of chicken vaccines at all). The only thing we have offered is nutra-drench mixed into water.
We bought them in March as chicks so they are approximately 4-5 months old.
Is there anything else we can do or should we humanely put them down?

Attachments

• 20220912_185459.jpg
    20220912_185459.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220912_185507.jpg
    20220912_185507.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC. Are their legs paralyzed? How long has this been going on and how far apart did they go down? What are you feeding them? Are they able to get food and water? What your location? Most states have state poultry vets who will perform a necropsy to look for Mareks. There are other things that could cause similar issues. Have you seen any mold in their feed? I would start some human vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily crushed into a little food or spoonful of water.

The white chickens have progressively got less mobile within the last 2-3 days, legs completely paralyzed by this morning, black & white has only gone immobile today
No mold in their food.
They were placed near food and water but none of the 3 have been eating or trying to eat it.
We are in central Florida, polk county area.
We feed them fresh layer pellets everyday, the food is stored inside so it stays dry & doesn't mold since it's too humid to keep it outdoors.

Has it been very hot? If so, these chickens could be suffering from heat stroke. It doesn't hurt anything to treat for this if you've had beastly hot weather. Give them electrolytes in cool water with extra sugar. You will need to hold them upright to make it easier for them to drink.

For all three to have Marek's symptoms all at once is a bit unusual. I suspect something else is causing the symptoms. Toxic poisoning from plants or petroleum distillates - hydraulic fluid, paint thinner, insect or rat poison, etc.

Back
Top Bottom