3 peachicks pecking at one other peachick

sasglm

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Central North Carolina
Hello, the chicks are 7 weeks old now, and have been together from day1.
the one chick that is getting beat up on was sick and on Corid and Safeguard for 5 days and is doing much better now. While it was sick I had it in a different cage and away from the other birds.
Now I put it back in and the 3 others are taking turns and sometimes all 3 are attacking the pea.

Especially when they are at the feeder. I'm worried the sick one is not getting enough food.
The sick one is also one that I believe might be a peahen, so I don't want to loose her.

Could there be something about the sick bird that's causing the other to attack.
So far they've pecked off most of it's top crest feathers.

Any suggestions?

thanks
gary

Similar situation as ours. For us the heat lamp was to close so they may be to hot in the brooder. Them picking on each other is a sign that something is wrong in their environment. Check to make sure they're eating and drinking properly, they're heat lamp is at an appropriate height and they have enough space. They may be picking on the little one because she is weaker then the others. You can try to single out a single chick that's picking on her the most and quarantining him for awhile and see if there's a noticeable change in the others behaviour. Also if you're concerned add another food source for them just be cautious with how much room you're taking up in their brooder. If none of this works try moving them to a bigger brooder but make sure if they still need a heat lamp they will stay warm and not wander from the heat and freeze to death.

Good luck Gary.

here's a picture of my birds in their outside cage.
Feeder and water dispenser in the foreground. The bird sitting on the top branch is the sick one that's getting much better, but is getting pecked on. the 2 guineas more or less ignore the peas in everyway. The peas think they are the mother and try to roost under the guineas wings at sunset. I've never seen the guineas peck or do anything to a pea, but everything the guineas eat the peas also get in there to eat.

You might have to remove it completely until they are old enough to be moved out to a different pen. Peas are much more territorial and scrappy than other types of poultry and it's likely the bird being picked on is at the bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom