3 peas in a pod????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkowa, Mar 28, 2012.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    so i am due to be getting my 3 chicks on april 17! im getting 1 aber link, 1 golden commet, and a araucana as they get older they will all be ok together right? they all will be used in showing so what should i do when their chicks to get them ready? any help will be great thanks![​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Don't worry about different breeds not getting along, many people keep mixed flocks. However, you may want to rethink using them as show chickens. Since you are getting an Amberlink and a Golden Comet, I assume you are getting them from a hatchery? If so, your Araucana will actually be a mixed-breed Easter Egger. Amberlinks and Golden Comets are hybrid layers and are not real breeds, so you will probably not be able to enter them in any shows. If you want show chickens, a hatchery or feed store is not the way to go, as they breed for egg production instead of to the standard by which chickens are judged at shows. If you want to show chickens, I recommend ordering chicks from a breeder.
    To prepare chicks to be show chickens, you should handle them often (but not too often, you don't want to stress them out), and when they are big enough to go outside you should "coop train" them, which is getting them used to being in a show-type cage by keeping them confined in an area similar to the types of cages at shows.
    Hopefully I answered your questions [​IMG]

3. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    ok thank you and no im getting them from a breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by