3 Pet Roosters :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GD91, Nov 9, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

Well I was going to rehome my 2 Easter eggers & keep the pekin cockerel.

That was until I found out a lady who provides "good forever homes" to pet cockerels was really putting the birds in dog cages in one of her sheds and culling them for her freezer. I found this out through a friend when I mentioned I may be looking to rehome my sweet boys. The friend used to work for this woman and left because she wasn't paid (cash in hand of course) for a month. She was supposed to have been doing the woman a favour & warned me to make sure I didn't give my birds to her as this last has taken in hundreds of birds over the years insisting she would provide a good home when really she has been providing herself and her friends with free chicken.

So now I'm even more worried if I rehome my lads they will go in a freezer :(
    That's the picture of them at the top, they are loose in our flat. I've seperated them from the pullets to stop their sex drives a little as they go into puberty & was thinking of just keeping them both together indoors as a same sex pair.
    Is that a resonable option?
    Of course they would still have outdoor access & I am at home all the time for them as we now have 2 dogs, a cat 4 pullets & four cockerels. One cockerel has a new home due ( I know the new owner & will still see him) the pekin cockerel is lovely in every way so I wanted to keep him as some friends want to buy pekin (Cochin) chicks next year.
    The 2 Easter eggers have lovely personalities (for now) to, & I'd hate to have to cull a healthy animal. I made the mistake of cuddling them & giving the **** things names when they were tiny ( before we knew what was what).

There is just one thing I will need for my boys & that is a SOUNDPROOF BOX BED for the night, and only the night. The idea is not to prevent crowing, but just reduce the noise.
    Have the Easter eggers in a soundproof box in the extension. I have a neighbor above my flat, but only above certain rooms.
    I have got the boys in a dog crate for now indoors, my pekin cockerel though is pretty quiet & lives outside very happily for now as we are having early evenings :)
    Any advice from those with indoor chickens of any kind is welcome, meanwhile I'll be reading through threads to see what I can find.
    I'm living in a town in the UK & cockerels must be kept quiet between the hours of 11pm and 7am btw.
    Normally I'm not this soft , but all of my birds were incubated and handreared by me. If they were raised by a broody I would just cull them at an appropriate age with the thought that they've had a good life. As it stands though its very hard when they are so affectionate and view you as "Mama"!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State

3. I have 1 house rooster! Someone here I think started a rooster rescue, I don't know where they live though!

4. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Well my pekin met his end this morning :( but it's made things much easier ( He is in the fridge ) All my chicks are now outside and we have brought in the pullet. It was her and the cockerel who were causing the problems, it seemed they had both established a territory as a pair. Now all of my five chicks & younger pekin cockerel are happy outside and the pullet is happy inside (she hatches a new plot everyday to come indoors) .

I'm still upset though :( he was such a lovely bird. It really annoys me that people can't be more tolerant of the noise providing its at reasonable hours. Its not like it's 5 birds crowing all day everyday.
    DH doesn't mind Scuffle indoors , she's much cleaner & quieter than the 5 chicks. She bullied the younger birds anyway & is on layer pellets, unlike the others.
    She was naughty before though, she went on the bed :) lol and pooed on DH’s pillow. Whoops!

I don't want to lose my other boys, but I guess it's just life. DH has said when we move in December about soundproofing a room (he's a DJ as a hobby ) and I can put my roosters in there.

I said great because he's now regretting us losing Rocky , even though he's not terribly fond of chickens , Rocky was an absolute baby.
    First time we have culled a bird, although its made life much easier, its still terrible.
    My only consolation is he had lots of good days and only one really bad day. I remember reading that on here :)

5. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]
    This is scuffle :) she won't leave DH alone .

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by