1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 Pics. Roo's???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nomibear, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Nomibear

Nomibear Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    Pleasanton Tx
    My Coop
    I tok these pics last week. I received this order of chicks on May 15th. They were 12 weeks old at the time of the pics.
    This little one is one of several Black Australorps i ordered as Pullets... the tail is just standing up more then the others. This one does look like it has had several feathers picked out or damaged on the lower back though.
    [​IMG]

These next two were ordered as EE's. I had requested 4 girls, and two boys. Do you think these could be my boys?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm seeing all pullets. Their combs are very pale and small especially for 12 weeks.

Roos will have noticeably big red comb and wattles, significantly bigger than the pullets.

At 12 weeks you would also begin to see pointy neck feathers and the beginning of saddles (but not always) on roos.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  3. Nomibear

May 23, 2012
    Pleasanton Tx
    My Coop
    Ideal's policy is that they guaranty 90% of ordered pullets will be. One out of every 10 could be a Roo. I ordered 18 pullets, and two Roos, because my last order of 20 pullets last spring had no accidental Roos;( I Really hope at least 1 is a Roo...

4. Nomibear

May 23, 2012
    Pleasanton Tx
    My Coop
    I received all of these May 15th, which would make them 22 weeks old now. I am still wishing for a Roo,[​IMG] but about to Give Up![​IMG] The one on the right of this next pic.
    [​IMG]

Close up shot. Thing is, I would have expected to see a larger comb and wattles...
    [​IMG]

The one on the right has feathered out really late. Came as an EE, but is shaped and colored differently. Has almost No tail... and again, no comb or wattle definition.
    [​IMG]

I have to say, I have not heard any crowing, and have not seen any mounting of my hens[​IMG]
    Because of this, i picked up 3 more EE chicks that were being sold as straight run from my local feed store.[​IMG]

5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the red and white could be one of your cockerels. The dark red feathers on the shoulders is one of the classic giveaways.

Also, I have a Cochin cockerel that's around 30-weeks old. He only recently started crowing.

ETA: with the beards, EEs don't usually have much for wattles, and the pea combs can take some time to develop. Anything goes with colors on the EEs.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree all are girls in pics 1, 2, and the black one in 3, but if you ordered 2 EE roosters you should have gotten 2. The orange and white EE in the 3rd pic could be one of the boys. It looks very pullet like for 22weeks but as suggested by the poster above the dark patches over the shoulders suggest Rooster, but I cant be sure

Also as posted above typically EEs don't have wattles and pea combs are relatively small.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    those are all girls. Your red and white bird is an Easter egger--the different colors are what makes them so much fun!

8. Nomibear

May 23, 2012
    Pleasanton Tx
    My Coop

I did order 2 Roos. Along with 18 girls. The problem is we had a bad storm when the chicks were 2 weeks old. 3 of them didn't survive. Now I keep wishing I had a Roo left, but maybe I lost them both to that storm.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  9. Nomibear

May 23, 2012
    Pleasanton Tx
    My Coop
    Guess who turned into a Roo!
    The chickens are 27 weeks old now.
    This first photo was about a week ago.
    [​IMG]
    This 2nd pic was taken today.
    [​IMG]