3 pullets, 2 cockerel bantams - living arrangements?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by homeycow, Jul 23, 2010.

1. homeycow

homeycow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    North Texas
    We have now pretty much determined that of our five chicks (8 weeks old), we have 3 pullets and 2 cockerels. They have their own coop/run. We also have 10 standard hens (ranging from about 7 years old to 3 years old) who free range during the day, and sleep in their own coop at night with a goose and 4 guineas.

We are trying to figure out what the bantams' permanent living arrangements will be. Here are our options, as I see it:

Keep the bantams all together, wait and see if the two roosters get along with only 3 hens. Or,

Put one of the bantam roosters out to free range with the big girls (once we are 100% positive of gender). Or,

Get more bantam pullets to stay with the others so there will be a better hen/rooster ratio. Or,

Anything else I haven't thought of...

We want to try to figure this out as soon as we can because the feed store is supposed to be getting in Japanese bantam pullets soon, and we would need to get some of them if we are going to add to the bantams. (Oh, wouldn't that be a shame if we had to get more chicks?!!!!)

What would you do?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote for more pullets! Well you asked... [​IMG]

2nd option would be to put a little gentleman out with the big girls... he might enjoy the big girls. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I wouldn't try to keep the two roos together with only three hens. So, first vote would be to put one of the little guys out with your big hens. You never know, they might all love it. If that doesn't sound good to you, I'd get 6 or 7 more bantam pullets and hope the two roos continue to get along.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whatever you decide, definately get more pullet chicks.[​IMG]

5. homeycow

homeycow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    North Texas
    Thanks, y'all. I just knew I would find some enablers here! [​IMG]

DH just called the feed store to find out when the new bantams will be in. He was told that they will be straight run, not all pullets as he was told before, because "bantams are always straight run because they can't be sexed". (I wonder if that can possibly be true???) And I am afraid that we will end up with more cockerels, meaning we will have to get MORE chicks, who will also be cockerels, meaning we will have to get EVEN MORE chicks, and so on...

So, it's looking like Caroleena, who will be renamed Mac Daddy, will eventually have to join the flock of big girls. I can't imagine putting such a teeny tiny thing with the big hens, but I guess it must be done. Which brings up a million other questions, so stay tuned!

Edited to add: While having cocktail hour in the bantam run this evening, DH sheepishly confessed that he WANTS at least three of the Japanese bantams. I also would like to have a few of them, but I'm smart enough to let this be HIS idea. Oh, heavens, is this how it all starts?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  6. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Quote:Yep! Sounds like a lot of fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by