3 Pullets....what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jessichick, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Jessichick

Jessichick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Just got these 3 pullets today. I'm pretty sure the one is a rhode island red.
    Any guesses on the other 2? The white one is a little skiddish. Reminds me a lot of an Ancona I used to have. I thought the other might be a blue sumatra?
    You can click on pics to see them bigger.
    Thanks for you help!
    I
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Agree the red looks like a RIR or some sort of production red. The white could be a White Leghorn? What kind of comb does the blue have, if single comb could be a blue Andalusian.

3. Jessichick

Oct 1, 2012
    Hmm....I think it probably is a single comb. I just went out to check. It's just starting to come in. Guess it wouldn't be a sumatra then.

I'll try to get some better pictures in the daylight tomorrow.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

The RIR looks like a Production Red. What color is the white one's earlobes? If they are white then she's probably a White Leghorn.

5. Jessichick

Oct 1, 2012
    Okay, probably a hatchery rhode island red (aka production red).

The lady i got these from thought the white was an ameraucana. I don't think so. I asked if it could be leghorn and she said no. Who knows? Will have to waIt and see as it gets older maybe. It is hard to say what color the lobes will be at this point. They look kinda grayish right now.

Im really curious about the blue. Said she got that one from privett hatchery and i am trying to figure out what breeds they have.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just checked that hatchery and the only blue chickens they have are Blue Andalusians, Wyandottes, and Sumatras. What color comb does the blue pullet have?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  7. Jessichick

Oct 1, 2012
    oh, thanks! I hadn't had time to go through their site yet. The comb is pinkish right now, so I'm assuming it will by red.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    red- production red
    blue-depend on comb
    white-white leghorn. That is definatley not an ameruacana, wrong comb, no beard, incorrect leg color, and body type is completley wrong

9. Jessichick

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm starting to think the white is a leghorn too. It really reminds me of my ancona, and since both are mediterranean breeds, I guess that makes sense. I hope she lays better than the ancona, though.
    I agree it is definitely not ameraucana.

I'm anxious for the blue to get older and figure her out too.

Thanks for the help!

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I am really curious as to what made that lady think it was an ameraucana! I want to know what the blue on is too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by