3 Q's,Hen on unfirtile eggs for a month,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherokeechick33, Apr 5, 2009.

1. cherokeechick33

cherokeechick33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    kenton, Ohio
    1) My hen (serama) is on 3 unfertile eggs [​IMG] and I read on a post earlier to take the eggs away from her at night. well she is a bantam so we used the hard dog food bowls for nests and when I took the eggs in to candle them and nothing was growing I thought darn so we left them in with her hoping for life. but today makes a month and I was wondering how long should I wait before putting the bowl back in with her so she can start laying more eggs. I have 36 BR & RIR in the bator on day 1 today. so should I wait about 2 weeks then give her a couple of those? please my little hen is a serama, So what should I do? If I take the eggs out she justs sits on the bowl like she has eggs under there.

2) also I have heard that seramas aren't supposed to be broody but man all the ones I have had are broody as heck,

3) When do chicks start crowing? (cockerals)

Thanks so much!
    -Taylor

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Take her off and remove the bowl. If possible put her in a different location. Next time she goes broody stick some fertile eggs under her.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Chicken eggs incubate for 21 days. It's been a month, so take them away from her.

Cocks will start to crow anywhere from 3 weeks & onward. It really depends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by