3 quails left, moving houses, can't keep them anymore. What to do?

dollfish

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2018
Hi guys, I have kept quails for many years but I am now moving houses and I will not be able to keep them anymore. My intention has been to not renew my flock after everybody was gone due to old age. 3 of them have passed and I am left with three 2 year old quails. 1 male and 2 females. I live in a city and there is literally nobody I can give them to. Everywhere I looked they are kept in very small overcrowded cages. Mine are soo used to the comfort of deep litter, outdoors and a good amount of space, plus all sorts of treats and enrichment. I have always culled them for eating when I was keeping them actively but these guys have been around for so long and I don't feel comfortable doing it anymore.

Say I somehow manage to take them with me to the new house, isn't the male going to wreak havoc on the females in a month or two? This is a very aggressive male too unfortunately. If I didn't have the male, I would try to somehow keep them just a little more until they passed naturally but the situation is a little confusing with the male and spring coming in 1 month.

How do you all recommend that I go with it? Just go ahead and cull? Keep them and hope the male doesn't make it hell for the females? Another option is to give them to our falconer friends, though it is the same outcome. They will just feed them to their falcons.

Hi guys, I have kept quails for many years but I am now moving houses and I will not be able to keep them anymore. My intention has been to not renew my flock after everybody was gone due to old age. 3 of them have passed and I am left with three 2 year old quails. 1 male and 2 females. I live in a city and there is literally nobody I can give them to. Everywhere I looked they are kept in very small overcrowded cages. Mine are soo used to the comfort of deep litter, outdoors and a good amount of space, plus all sorts of treats and enrichment. I have always culled them for eating when I was keeping them actively but these guys have been around for so long and I don't feel comfortable doing it anymore.

Say I somehow manage to take them with me to the new house, isn't the male going to wreak havoc on the females in a month or two? This is a very aggressive male too unfortunately. If I didn't have the male, I would try to somehow keep them just a little more until they passed naturally but the situation is a little confusing with the male and spring coming in 1 month.

How do you all recommend that I go with it? Just go ahead and cull? Keep them and hope the male doesn't make it hell for the females? Another option is to give them to our falconer friends, though it is the same outcome. They will just feed them to their falcons.
Just butcher the male, if you are willing to keep the two females for a little longer. Butchering is as easy as culling, quails being one of thee easiest to butcher. I say that you either butcher them all or butcher the male and keep the two females. Don't keep the three together, the females will be destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom