3 questions about incubating..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oliviad51, Aug 6, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I posted something similar to this a few weeks ago, but I have some different questons this time...I am incubating 12 guinea eggs in a Still Air styrofoam incubator, nothing fancy, no egg turners. I have then in a egg carton with the top cut off. Each day I lean it a different way, so the egg carton is kind of acting like an egg turner. Today is day 9. (Friday, Aug. 6th)

1. I just put a flash light up to a few of the eggs and noticed a large dark spot. What is this?
    2. I have been keeping the incubator outside on our screened in porch, where it stays 80-90 degrees at night and 90-97ish during the day. Should I move it inside?
    3. I have been keeping the eggs the large rounded side facing down, the smaller pointed side facing up. Is this right?

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    1. The large dark spot is most likely the chick growing inside.
    2.Yes move the incubator inside.
    3. No, you need to place the large end up as that is the end with the air sac.

Happy hatching!!! [​IMG]

3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks! I moved the bator inside and flipped the eggs over. Now Im just waiting for the temp. to get high enough. Do you think its too late?

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Nahhhh. I don't think so. But be careful because moving the incubator after the eggs have already started incubating is dangerous. Somtimes the temp wont get back to the right temp, or may go up and down and kill the chicks. If you can get the temp right I think you should have some little fuzzy butts soon [​IMG]

5. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    The temp. did go up and down for about 30 mins but I got it right ASAP. Im hoping everything is going to be ok now.

6. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    They should b fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by