3 Roos help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by loghomehenhouse, Aug 6, 2013.

1. loghomehenhouse

loghomehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    My daughter brought home chicks from a hatching project at school and well as luck would have it. 3 out of the 5 are Roos! As much as I would like to keep them I can't. We have one beautiful older Roo that rules the house.

What can we do with the other three? Everyone is NPIP certified. I've tried posting them on Craigslist, but only getting responses from people that want to feed them to their dogs. I just can't do that.

2. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's just a sad fact of life there aren't many forever homes for roosters, especially if they're nothing spectacular. Personally, I'd craigslist them and just not ask about their fate. Honestly, there are much worse things than a humane death.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    x2

5. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

If you worried about their fate if you put them on craigslist. Take them to your vet and have them humanly euthanized. That way you know they were happy and loved up until that point and they weren't just thrown in for some dog to inhumanly kill. I agree that there are worse things than a humane death, but being mauled by dogs isn't one of them. Most vets will let you drop them off and leave them so you don't have to worry about the aftermath.

6. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    Is that what you all do with the "extras"?

7. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    We also ended up with 3 roosters. 1 is a little banham that is absolutely gorgeous and only little. One is a Cochen and, so far, calm as a cucumber. The other was my neighbors, but decided that there's no reason to stay home and be an only child when there's a whole group of friends right next door. We weren't sure about its gender until a day or 2 ago when he crowed. YIKES! Three????

So, for now they're all getting along and happy. When they aren't, I'll have to choose who stays. The others will have to go into the food chain. I can't imagine feeding them to dogs. It would be a scarey end for my chickies, and also kind of a waste. I love chicken. Why give good food to the dogs? [​IMG]

8. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

No, I live in the country so I just kept mine. I have 3 roo's and they all get along so they're fine for now. I mean your husband or yourself could always dispatch them and eat them, but I don't know how down you are for that. The vet depending on where you live will maybe charge you $20 to euthanize and that way you know they were treated with respect.

9. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    They are running free now, come in the "man cave" at night so it seems to be working. My hubby built them their own oasis. :)

10. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

We currently have 5 roos......2 of them were definitely supposed to be girls. lol
    I'm not sure what we'll do with them all yet. Ive already given 5 of them away.
    We have Fred, our 11 month old White Rock, Speck, the red & white EE, Cogburn , the BSL boy, Napoleon, our little Mille Fleur D'uccle bantam & then there's Nyx, who was supposed to be a BSL girl. SURPRISE! Obviously he is something else slipped in with the girls. haha on me. 0nly Fred, the bantam are actually crowing so far. Nyx is trying to. He sounds like someones strangling him. lol
    the other 2...nothing ...YET. Should be cock-a-doodle-doo in stereo...or is that stere-roo? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by