3 Roosers and 4 Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lynyrd66, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Lynyrd66

Lynyrd66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    I have 3 roosters and 4 hens in a chicken tractor right now. I know I will have to get rid of 2 roosters soon, but we are pretty attached. Is there any chance they will all get along in a small space once hormones set in? Or am I kidding myself and setting myself up for trouble? ( I think I already know what the answer is) Also, how do I decide which Roo to keep if any? and how much time do I have? My Alpha roo and another are starting to crow, which will soon be driving the neighbors crazy. My alpha roo is established but the other 2 are starting to face off. No fights yet, but the weather is getting colder and they are starting to stay inside more....

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    it really depends on how much space you have for them to roam in. if it is not enough there will be fights. you also need to think about over mating your hens. the general rule is 1 rooster for every 8-10 hens.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Even if the roosters don't fight, your hens are going to get gang banged. That's a pretty horrible life. Unless you really, really NEED those roosters for something, just get rid of them.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would get rid of at least two of those roosters, if not all of them. Three roosters to four hens is too much. They may not fight, but the hens will get torn up. Ideally, you want at least eight hens per rooster. Otherwise, the hens will usually get overmated and have feather loss on their backs and head.

5. Lynyrd66

Lynyrd66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks. I was already pretty sure of the answer...How much time do you think I have? The birds are about 13 weeks. 2 of the roosters are starting to crow

6. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    I wouldn't wait any longer, however you should do it before they come into their manhood and want to start mating.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sooner's better than later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by