3 Roosters - 1 Barred Rock - 2???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AllCoop'dUp, Nov 24, 2010.

1. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Barred Rock?
    [​IMG]
    EE's?
    [​IMG]

2. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Could someone tell me if I'm correct on the EE's? thanks!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are not EEs at all. The one on the right in the pic of two boys is a Black Sexlink rooster. The one on the left, I don't know what it is, except male, and probably mixed. The one in the crate is probably a Barred Rock--can't see the hackles well to say for sure if it's BR or a black sexlink rooster, though.

Easter Eggers usually have pea combs, not big single combs like those two pictured together.

4. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Thank you...I wanted to make sure because they are all bound for "Cooking School" this weekend. [​IMG]

5. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    My barred rock roo has very yellow legs. Colors are similar but legs are much different. I wonder if it is a cuckoo maran rooster? Most cuckoo's that I've seen have pinkish clean legs. Sorry I can't be more help.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Apparently, some hatchery BRs have off-color legs, though mine have always had nice yellow ones.

7. pennydachicken

pennydachicken New Egg

Nov 24, 2010
    correct me if I am wrong but I think the left one might be a salmon faverolle.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Nope, not a Salmon Faverolle by a long shot, sorry.

The "barred rock" is actually either a Cuckoo Marans or a mutt. (shank and foot color is wrong) The one in the photo with the black and white rooster is a Sexlink cockerel.

The black and white one is not an Easter Egger, but likely just some random mutt. Does it have feathered shanks? They look very lightly feathered but I can't tell.

9. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:the first one could very likely be a hatchery (Barred Rock), and the two others could be EE, i know most some people only recognize pea combed birds as EE, but any chicken that lays a blue, green, or similar shade egg can be considered an EE. Also, i have herd from some people that only pea combed chickens can cary green egg genes but that is not correct, how do i know? because i have single combed green egg layers

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:the first one could very likely be a hatchery (Barred Rock), and the two others could be EE, i know most some people only recognize pea combed birds as EE, but any chicken that lays a blue, green, or similar shade egg can be considered an EE. Also, i have herd from some people that only pea combed chickens can cary green egg genes but that is not correct, how do i know? because i have single combed green egg layers

I'd like to see the combs of these "single combed green egg layers"

The two are not Easter Eggers because they display absolutely no traits of an Easter Egger. Their leg color is not common for EE's, their body color is not common for EE's, and they have large single combs with large wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by