3 roosters 3 acres?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brandon97, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    hey its brandon.
    at the moment i have 3 brothers that have been living together since hatch. they are living in the main coop with thier mums and 12 other birds. I want to breed them, so im planning on making three breeding pens all with a rooster and different hens eg blackrock, sussex, silkie in first and dfferent hens in second and third. So i was wondering, after being seperated for say 2 months +, would they fight when let out to free range over 3 acres? and would them and thier hens go into the right breeding coops? they will be able to see each other through the mesh because all breedingcoops will be together inone block.
    thanks for the help in advance!
    P.S. would the hens in the main coop follow the other birds into the breeding coop, or vice versa?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:.

Brandon,

wow your expecting alot of intelligence from those birds haha. I have 3 separate coops located away from each other. ALL the birds go into their own coops BUT the roosters do mate all the hens from all the different coops-these are all my freeranging birds. The breeders have separate coops and runs or else they wouldn't stay pure. I have 6 acres if that tells you anything? You will get cross breeding without a doubt. My 4 roos dont fight at all-not the free ranging roos but they do like to torture the roos in the breeding pens and fight through fences!

3. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    hi, thanks for your reply.
    they will be cross breeding coops anyway, roosters all the same breed, hens will differ from coop to coop. im trying to create lovely looking chooks, barnyard selections. I will then breed the babies! i also have one breeding coop for my bantam silkies, OEG and barnevelder, but dont let them free range because of thier size.
    brandon.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by