3 Roosters - 5 Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HyLinda, Sep 13, 2010.

1. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    I have 3 roosters and 5 hens, hatched mid-April. They were all getting along fine until recently. Now when one rooster is mating a hen, the other two jump on her, one right after the other and the hen can't seem to get up right away. I was think of putting 2 of the roosters in a bachelor pen until I decide which one I want to keep. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah, when I had my boys all mixed and mingled with the girls, that sort of "chain" happened ALL the time. . . .

So, I now have a bachelor pad. If I want someone paired, I've got a breeding pen to stick them temporarily in. But, of course, you can do with yours what you want. I simply do this with mine to have working breeding programs going on.

3. HyLinda

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    So 2 roosters in 1 pen won't kill each other or be driven crazy by the free-ranging ladies?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If they've grown up together and get along fairly well, they will be fine if stuck with each other. Just yesterday and for months before that, I've had over 10 roosters in my bachelor pad. The most that happens is someone being at the bottom of the "totem pole" and getting pecked or chased now and then.

5. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Quote:Just make sure you furnish the bachelor pad with rooster-appropriate furnishings like couches found behind dumpsters at college, a futon with questionable and semi-identifiable stains, milk-crate bookcases and tack up some centerfolds from McMurray and Cackle Hatchery catalogs. They should be fine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  6. HyLinda

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Quote:Just make sure you furnish the bachelor pad with rooster-appropriate furnishings like couches found behind dumpsters at college, a futon with questionable and semi-identifiable stains, milk-crate bookcases and tack up some centerfolds from McMurray and cackle hatchery catalogs. They should be fine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When roosters gang breed hens, there is always the potential for physical damage to the hens. For the safety of the hens, I would definately remove two of the roosters. They will complain and be a little unhappy, but the hens will be safer and far more content.

8. HyLinda

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    When I get home tonight, I'm going to grab two of them in their sleep and put them in the Bachelor Pad [​IMG]

9. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Maybe you could rotate the roosters stuck in the bachelor pad, so they all get a chance to get out.

I'm in the stage of deciding between 2 roosters too. I'm thinking I may just get rid of both of them - don't really need a rooster until brooding time in the spring anyway...

10. HyLinda

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    That's a good idea - then I can see which one is the best for the hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by