3 roosters... how to know which is the pappa?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by maf2008, Nov 30, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    I do not have breeding pens but will be breeding soon for spring the roosters and hens...I know it can take 3 weeks for the next rooster mating to be "pure" BUT if I put all 3 roosters in one pen ( RIR, Barred Rock, and EE) If all 3 roosters mated with hens on or near the same time what will happen?

1) rooster #1 mated will be the pappa for next 3 weeks
    2) Hen will lay fertile eggs for a week or so from rooster #1 then second week she will lay eggs from second rooster mating rooster #2
    3) hen will lay eggs that are fertile from all 3 roosters over the next 3 weeks

Please someone with breeding experience tell me....

The rir cross over the leghorns will give me red sex links, the BR over the rir hens will give me black sex links the rir and barred rock over same hens will give me purebred..... and the ee is to give me some more ee mixed

So please advise... the above is just a "example" I do have other roosters and hens... I just need to know can I put all roosters in at same time with hens.... or will I need 3 "breeding dates" thanks for the help in advance.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You should wait at least a month between roosters before you can be sure the eggs are what you want them to be. If you want to use all 3 roos, and you have enough hens: I would set up 3 seperate breeding pens, wait a month or so, check for fertility, and start hatching. If you think the chicks will be similar, you may need more than one incubator. (unless you're going to grow out all of them)

3. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    To get black sex links it must be RIR rooster with barred hens. I had a batch of chicks hatch out here and after they all feathered out I was able to tell who belonged to whom. There is site that tells what you'll get when you cross such-snd-such. Maybe someone will come along and post that link.

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I think OP is asking a different question. It's already been established that it takes three weeks to get one roo's seed "out of her system", but if another roo is "in the system" during this time, can they both fertilize a clutch of eggs? Like how a litter of kittens can have different fathers?

5. maf2008

Feb 19, 2009
    bingo.... Its not that I want one rooster to be the father... I want all three roosters at the same time in the pen for mating.. I will keep what ever for offspring... WILL ALL 3 BE THE FATHER OR WILL ONLY THE FIRST ROOSTER TO MATE BE THE FATHER FOR THE FIRST 3 WEEKS- THEN #2 ROOSTER THE FATHER FOR NEXT 3 WEEKS AND SO ON..... I want to find out can a hen be fertile from more than one rooster at a time.... like a cat can give birth to kittens from different fathers... please advise anyone??? [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    rir cross over the leghorns will give me red sex links

It wont give you a Red Sex-Linked but you will be able to feather-sex them (White Leghorns shouldnt carry the Silvering Gene) ... This cross will be more like a Production Red..

BR over the rir hens will give me black sex links

Should be other way around I beleve.. (Rhode Island Red rooster with Bared Rock Hens)

Here is a good post by tadkerson on Sex- linked Information https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- most likely the dominant roo would be the father of all the chicks. I've had this happen in my cochin pen.

8. maf2008

Feb 19, 2009
    OK here is my question: IS IT POSSIBLE that more than one roo can be the father of the chicks in ONE mating session

- meaning can a hen get pregnant by all 3 roosters and eggs are fertile by "different roosters in a 3 week period"

... I am putting this as simple as I know how.... MY QUESTION is not will the offspring be a sex link or not

so can 3 roosters fertilize the same hen in a 3 week period or will one rooster fertilize the eggs for 3 weeks, the next rooster and so on

please someone answer this question..... [​IMG]

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Any of the roosters could be the father.

10. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I think that the sperm that were already there first will win the first few eggs, but I believe that each sperm is chemically programmed to "fight off" the others, giving themselves a better chance. If that is true, I wonder if fertility will go down with multiple roos? All the sperm kills each other off, like that battle in IIChron in the Bible! I don't want to add problems (it's the holidays), but I'm just thinking out loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by