3 roosters to 16 hens..... QUESTION!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DUCKGIRL89, Jan 6, 2012.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Is 3 roos to 16 hens a OK ratio? My mom has RIRs and I went to feed them today and found that we had a extra roo! As usual lue and phil came to be pet/picked up. And then a extra one came to [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:As long as they get along ok, and aren't bothering the hens too much. If you see hens start to miss feathers or the low totem pole roo getting picked on I'd rehome one. If alls going well right now though no reason to mess it up. [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've run at that ratio and everyone's been fine. I think the key to it for me was free ranging, or at least making sure everyone had LOTS of space. This is a "your milage may vary" issue, you just need to keep an eye on the hens and make sure they don't get overmated. Bare backs, lots of screaming, violent matings or roos ganging up on a hen are things to watch for. You'd need to pull roos out if you see any of this.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It depends entirely upon the individuals involved. Keep an eye on the situation and have a plan to institute if problems arise.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    my old bantam flock has the same ratio and they do okay [​IMG] you might have some mild skirmishes but as long as no one gets hurt they should be okay together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by