3 roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickemee, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    Right now we have 4 roosters and 1 hen. We're giving away 1 of the roosters and getting 2 more hens, this is proibibly be a dumb question but will the roosters still fight if there is 1 hen for each? Right now we have a coop with 2 roos and 1 hen and they get along fine and in the other coop we have 2 little roos and 1 is going away soon but these 2 fight sometimes.

2. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    yeah they'll probably still fight. the ideal ratio is 1 roo to 8-10 hens.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, you should get rid of all but one. And that one like FutureChickenMan said, should have 8-10 girls. Any less and your girls will have bald backs due to over mating. They are not like humans and do not pair off. The strongest one will take all.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If you keep the 3 roosters you'll need to seperate them.

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I thought that the ratio of roosters to hens was based on the type of chicken! Example: lighter breeds would be a higher number of hens to a roo.......heavy breeds would be a lower number of hens to a roo............I do know that one roo to one hen is not healthy for the hen in most cases.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think one roo to 12 to 14 hens is a better ratio. My Light Brahmas are of the heavy breed. I would never allow less than 14 hens with any of my roo's. Fertile hens is never a problem and the roo's have no problem keeping up their pace.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by