3 Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by simsge, Feb 7, 2008.

1. simsge

simsge New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Not sure what to do here. I had what I though were 18 pullets - all the same age ( about 5 months old now). As it turns out 3 of them are looking a lot like roosters. ....and one of the is sounding like a rooster - often. One of the alleged roosters is a polish and one is an arucana. The one I am very certain of is a polish. I'd like any suggestions as to which one to keep. The remaining hens are a mix of arucanas, leghorns, cochin, and polish. These girls are pets and we only use the eggs. I appreciate any and all comments.
    Regards, George in Tucson.

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi George!

If you don't plan on getting into purebred breeding I'd say just keep your favorite. ;)With that ratio you may be able to get away with keeping 2 of the boys.

Wait until they grow up a little and see how they get along with each other and the hens and just go from there. [​IMG]

3. simsge

simsge New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks bunches for the suggestion. I'd like to keep two of them. I'll wait and see how they get along. The is a woman here in Tucson who takes in orphaned roos and places them in good homes----or farms as the case may be.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh lucky you! There are not nearly enough places like that out there.

It's surprising how attached you can get to them and it can be really hard to part with them not knowing if they'll end up as dinner.[​IMG] It's great you won't have to deal with that!

5. simsge

simsge New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Unfortunately - now I count 5 roosters out of 18....and worst....I've grow kinda attached to them.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

Were these your eggs or an order?? JUST ODDLY CURIOUS!!

7. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    I hope your scenario doesn't end up like mine.

About 3 weeks ago, I discovered 2 more of my "hens" were also roos.

No biggie...until...

I went out one day because I heard a lot of cackling and it looked like Eric was trying to mount Goldie, and when I got closer, you could obviously see that Eric and Goldie were in a HUGE battle, and had obviously been for awhile.

Their heads and faces were bloodied, and they would fight, run off, fight, run off...literally were going to fight to the death.

Andy was inside and must have been in the fight some and was either ran off, or was the "head" roo in the fight.

We called our feed store who offered to take in Eric and Goldie because they were so tired, those 2 we could catch...so that's why they "made the cut".

They went to good homes that just wanted protector roos.

However, a week later, Andy was found dead in our run.

Now we're completely roo-less. We are SO sad.

They were sons of our cherished roo, Billy, and now because of the fight and Andy's death...they're all gone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by