3 Roosters !!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All [​IMG]

I need some advice here.

I have 16 chickens 3 of them roos.

I planed on two roos and keeping them because my chickens
    free range, I like having a back up should something happen
    to my alpha roo.

Yesterday morning I discovered that one of my hens in a roo.
    So now I have three.

In your experience, would it be wise to keep the third roo?
    Or is 3 roos to 13 hens a little much? [​IMG]

I plan on craigslisting him if keeping him is not a good idea for the flock.

Thanks

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think it is too many. I really think 2 roosters are too many for that size flock. I have one roo, and granted he is only 1 year old, but my 6 hen's backs are wore ragged. I have added 7 pullets to the flock, and that will give me 13 hens to one rooster. He will be getting older and hopefully a bit better technique, he has slowed down on how often he goes to work! Whew when he first matured he was a busy man.

I also think that with that many roosters, you are bound to get some fighting... depending on the boys themselves. I really do not think much of the keeping an extra in case I loose the alpha rooster. I have had chickens many years without a rooster, and free ranged them, and roosters are a dime a dozen, and generally easy to find.

Since you asked, my 2 cents.

MrsK

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] 3 roos to 13 hens sounds good. [​IMG] But you can't tell a rooster his limit for the day.[​IMG] Have you ever watched a roo with his own flock of 10 or more hens? Some roos are insatiable! Just loving a hen every few minutes. It's amazing they can walk, let alone crow so loudly! LOL!

4. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Thank you so much for your advice. I do agree that 3 is too many roosters [​IMG]

Does anyone else have any advice or experiences
    they want to share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by